VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just ordered my first Blu-ray burner (an external Lacie) and I am excited to receive it. I have been trying to find some good media. I've read that there are issues with Ritek and I've heard good things about Verbatim. I am seriously considering either the Verb 96731 or their new LTH media. Does anyone know if the LTH discs will last as long as the others? The LTH are around $1.85 each and I found the 96731 discs for around $3 each. Thanks for any input.
    Quote Quote  
  2. thanks LordSmurf. I am asking whether to buy the LTH discs or not. I do plan on buying Verbatim.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the LTH discs are less quality than the HTL discs?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jedisinclair View Post
    thanks LordSmurf. I am asking whether to buy the LTH discs or not. I do plan on buying Verbatim.
    The LTH discs are made differently than the regular BD-R:

BD-R LTH Type 25GB 2X 20pk Spindle

Verbatim BD-R LTH media is manufactured with an organic dye that turns the disc’s reflectivity during recording from “low to high”. Other BD-R discs use the “high to low” recording method. Additionally, BD-R LTH is manufactured on converted CD-R/DVD-R production lines, which utilize a spin coating process and allow excess materials to be recycled. These two cost-cutting measures let us pass along the savings to you. Upon introduction of the BD-R LTH media, key hardware manufacturers like Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic and LG have worked to assure that their burners are fully compatible. If your BD burner is a 2009 model or later it will most likely support recording and playback of BD-R LTH media. If your Blu-ray hardware was manufactured before 2009, check with the manufacturer for firmware updates. For detailed compatibility information, see the compatibility chart.

Do know that the LTH discs are only 2x where the regfular BD-R discs are 4x.

I use the regular Verbatim BD-R exclusively...http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=96769

Never had a problem of any sort with them, I've burned about 50 of them so far. Personally, I'd stay away from the LTH discs, first because you may have compatability issues with your burner and secondly they haven't been on the market for very long. You get what you pay for, $3 a disc for regular BD-R is not bad at all IMO.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks. I contacted a guy at Verbatim and he suggested the HTL discs as well. He said they are a proven technology where the LTH discs are not.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do not buy the LTH discs from Verbatim!!! I've had many problems playing these discs in various standalone blu ray players such as Sony, Samsung, and LG. I've also had inconsistent burns with these. Stick with Verbatim BD-R 6x or 4x.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatim BD-R from Rima. I buy a 10 piece spindle for just under $30 US. A lot better than the $8 - $11 per disc they used to be. They play back just fine on my PS3.
    TANSTAAFL
    Quote Quote  
  8. infiniti reference series give good perfomance for money
    Quote Quote