VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

I dealt with several encodes before using multiAVCHD without problems but recently encountered an MKV which was using a bitrate of 17615 and a frame ref of 8. The fps is 23.976 and res of 1920 x 1080p. Also the soundtrack is DTS 6 channel. I encoded the vid using multiAVCHD with the settings set to as follows.

res: 1920 x 1080 (no change)
    fps: 23.976 (Original)
    sharpen: 0.8
    bitrate: 5000
    Ref. Frames: 4
    B. Frames: 3
    Level: 4.1
    Quality: 2 pass HQ
    Use Long GOP if possible: checked
    Blu-Ray/AVCHD Compliant

Other settings: split set to 0, Stricter AVCHD File Format: checked

I click the start button and choose AVCHD Strict as the Output. When it's done I used ImgBurn to burn the structure using UDF 2.50 to a DVD-RW.

The result is that the video plays fine on my PS3 but the picture stutters when played back on my standalone BDP-S300 Blu-Ray player.

I suspect that it's a problem with format compliance, any idea what's going on and what I could attempt to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

http://www.tdimension.ca
    Quote Quote  
  2. can you post the mediainfo text readout information (view=>text)

studdering in standalone players can occur when buffer values are not set properly, or GOP size is too large

also, some firmware revisions can affect playback (positively or negatively) , so check your model's forum
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi there and thank you for the reply

Okay here is the Mediainfo and I hope this will help you help me indentify the problem. As a note I tried this video before and after I updated my player to the latest firmware. The playback result is the same where the picture stutters but sound is okay. Is there a possibility that perhaps the audio is at a too high of a bitrate to be streamed from a DVD?

General
    ID : 1
    Complete name : C:\HD_COMPILATION\AVCHD_Video_Test\BDMV\STREAM\000 00.m2ts
    Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
    File size : 74.6 MiB
    Duration : 59s 393ms
    Overall bit rate : 10.5 Mbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 35.5 Mbps

Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
    Duration : 59s 392ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Nominal bit rate : 5 000 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 14.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Resolution : 8 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.101
    Writing library : x264 core 93 r1542M 5b86182
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.15 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=14 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=0 / keyint=48 / keyint_min=4 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=0 / rc=2pass / mbtree=0 / bitrate=5000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.50 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=14000 / vbv_bufsize=15000 / ip_ratio=1.10 / pb_ratio=1.10 / aq=1:1.00 / nal_hrd=vbr
    Language : English / /

Audio
    ID : 4352 (0x1100)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : DTS
    Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
    Format profile : MA
    Muxing mode : Stream extension
    Duration : 59s 370ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Language : English / /

Thanks in Advance,
    Tom

Quote Quote  
  4. well it could be your firmware, but many players have issues with bpyramid , and it should be disabled; everything else looks good in terms of encoding settings (although I would use a shorter min keyframe interval of 1 or 2 instead of 4)

b_pyramid=1
    Strictly speaking, DTS-MA isn't compatible with AVCHD specification, only blu-ray (on blu-ray media); so that may also be contributing. You could try converting to AC3 and see if it helps
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks poisondeathray, I suspected that this may be the case as I tried other encodes with DTS (SD audio) and they all played fine. This is the first one so far (I'm new to this) that I dealt with that happens to have DTS-MA and I encounter problems. Anyways, I'll try converting to AC3 and report back if it helped any.

Thanks,
    Tom

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Another thing to consider is the possiblity that the DVD spec allows for a 10.08 Mbps Max payload bitrate, regardless of datatype. It could be that your BD player sees the medium (DVD) and can't spin any faster that what is expected for that medium, and that keeps the bitrate off the disk WELL BELOW the ~16+ Mbps that would be required to adequately play your content without skips.

Scott
    Quote Quote