VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know how to easily convert WTV files to TRP files?

I want to watch TV shows recorded by Windows Media Player (at home) using my set top box that records in TRP (onto a USB stick) at my holiday house.

There seem to be programs to convert TRP files into other formats but they are not what I need.

I am a novice in this area. Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Convert to ts(try DVRMSToolbox to mpg and then to ts with tsmuxer or google "wtv to") and then try http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=ht...D1&sl=de&tl=en
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVRMStoMPEGGUI (from DVRMSToolbox) worked correctly for some of my files files but not others. For me, TSConverter did a better job at times than DVRMStoMPEGGUI from DVRMSToolbox, or VideoReDo. Those sometimes made the video in the .mpg files they produced look like there was poor reception at the time the recording was made, even though the original .wtv or DVR-MS files looked fine.

If DVRMSToolbox doesn't work, try converting from .wtv to DVR-MS using the built-in Windows utility then use TSConverter to create a .mpg or .ts file. TSConverter isn't perfect, but in the end it worked. I would expect you can find something that can convert .mpg or .ts to TRP.

When I used TSConverter to convert some 480i DVR-MS files to .mpg, it produced dozens of empty error message windows, but finished the conversion anyway, and the resulting files played nicely. The same happened when I used it to convert from .DVR-MS to .ts.

This was on a Windows 7 32-bit sytem, so I tried using Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode with administrator privileges, but it did not stop the error windows. To get rid of them and regain control of the main program window, you have to keep clicking "OK" a few dozen times, after it finishes the conversion. The other choice is to use Process Exporer or Task Manager to shut it down.

[Edit] Sorry, the reference I saw said TRP was a container for MPEG-2 video, but I just ran across something that said it could also contain MPEG-4 video, which makes more sense given you are in Australia. In the US, almost all digital TV is now MPEG-2. Hopefully TSConverter will work just as well in both cases.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st May 2010 at 12:51.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys for your suggestions.

I will let you know whether they worked when I get back from my coastal retreat in Oz (no Internet access).

In case I didn't make it clear, my version of WMP produces WTV files - does that mean I have to convert the WTV files to the DVRMS format first before I follow your suggestions?

I am using a Windows 7 32-bit system with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4GB RAM and I have plenty of HDD space with two big hard drives, so I suppose I have plenty of power and storage if it's needed to carry out the conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most of the few free tools for working with Windows Media Center recordings pre-date Vista, so .wtv files need to be converted to DVR-MS format. Using Windows 7, all you need to do is right-click on the .wtv file in Windows Explorer and choose "Convert to dvr-ms Format" from the menu. It won't take long to finish, since it is more or less copying the contents of the .wtv file to a new container.
    Quote Quote