VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. A while back I asked on these boards if anyone knew of a DVD player that would play the DVD+R's I make without audio/video synch problems and I've since found out elsewhere about the Pioneer DVR-660H so I bought one and it works for this:

http://www.world-import.com/Pioneer_dvr-660H-k_DVD_Recorder.htm

Could someone please tell me from the specs "what it is" this unit "has" that many others apparently don't so I'll know for future buys what to look out for when purchasing?

I asked the person at the above site that told me about this player/recorder being able to do this regarding this issue but they never wrote back so this is why I must ask here being a newbie at all this tech talk.

If it's of any help they said this is the only item they sell which can do this.

Thanks in advance for the replies, they are much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The TBC and region free setting are what sets it apart. And of course, it's a DVD Recorder with a built in hard drive, not just a DVD player.

None of that has anything to do with playing DVD+R without A/V sync errors. If your DVDs are made correctly there will be no sync errors on any DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    TBC, region free. And of course, it's a DVD Recorder with a built in hard drive, not just a DVD player.

None of that has anything to do with playing DVD+R without A/V sync errors. If your DVDs are made correctly there will be no sync errors on any DVD player.
    Sorry to disagree, and I admit I'm still new at this but I have taken the same discs and tried to play them on some other players I have (Toshiba, Philips, Samsung, Panasonic) and there is video lag (you hear what the people in the video say 1 or 2 seconds ahead of the picture but in the Pioneer & a Sony DVD/VHS combo deck I now use for recording they play perfectly. I rip with Clone/AnyDVD. edit & convert VOB to MPG with VideoReDo and author/burn the MPG to disc with Womble MPEG Video Wizard, just movies I record off TV, same way each time. I use Taiyo Yuden discs every time as well

So the question remains open: If anyone knows what the Pioneer has that others don't regarding this please let me know.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
    Sorry to disagree, and I admit I'm still new at this but I have taken the same discs and tried to play them on some other players I have (Toshiba, Philips, Samsung, Panasonic) and there is video lag (you hear what the people in the video say 1 or 2 seconds ahead of the picture but in the Pioneer & a Sony DVD/VHS combo deck I now use for recording they play perfectly. I rip with Clone/AnyDVD. edit & convert VOB to MPG with VideoReDo and author/burn the MPG to disc with Womble MPEG Video Wizard, just movies I record off TV, same way each time. I use Taiyo Yuden discs every time as well

So the question remains open: If anyone knows what the Pioneer has that others don't regarding this please let me know.
    From your statement it appears you are burning .mpg data files to DVD+R.** If so, the problem is that you aren't authoring your video (creating the standard DVD file structure). Most players are better at playing standard DVDs than data files, if they play data files at all.

Do any of the problem players actually say they will play .mpg data files? If it isn't a documented feature for the player, then you can't expect it to perform that task correctly.

Some DVD recorders or players, can play .mpg data files anyway, even without it being an official feature for the model. If so, then it's because the maker created firmware capable of it for some other reason, but you won't be able to tell that is the case from the features list.

[Edit]**MPEG Video Wizard doesn't author. You would need to use MPEG Video Wizard DVD for that.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Apr 2010 at 12:13.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    From your statement it appears you are burning .mpg data files to DVD+R. If so, the problem is that you aren't authoring your video (creating the standard DVD file structure).
    LOL. I assumed he knew that already. But you may be right.
    Quote Quote  
  6. All my units were actually MORE finiky when I used the DVD-R discs, they seemed to "like" the +R's better so that's why I've used those.

Oddly, the Sony I have that will play them "in time" is from 2004 and the Samsung I just bought last year wouldn't (& they both said in their feature lists that they play both - & +R's (and I understand things like bitsetting aren't really an issue now with newwr players/drives, so hence the confusion ).

I meant to say MPEG Video Wizard DVD, yes, that's what I have and use.

Any other ideas since I can't use the -R's?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How about you try what was suggested in the previous thread you are referring to? Take one of those problem discs you have, run a VOB from that disc through GSpot and post a screenshot of it here.
    In the previous thread you mentioned PAL and NTSC. I've never heard of a video format issue(IE - PAL played in an NTSC environment) causing "only" sync issues....but I've also never heard of sync issues concerning +R vs -R discs.
    Something is screwy here no doubt...but I've been here a VERY long time and don't ever recall sync issues/differences caused by someone's choice of +R or -R disc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    How about you try what was suggested in the previous thread you are referring to? Take one of those problem discs you have, run a VOB from that disc through GSpot and post a screenshot of it here.
    In the previous thread you mentioned PAL and NTSC. I've never heard of a video format issue(IE - PAL played in an NTSC environment) causing "only" sync issues....but I've also never heard of sync issues concerning +R vs -R discs.
    Something is screwy here no doubt...but I've been here a VERY long time and don't ever recall sync issues/differences caused by someone's choice of +R or -R disc.
    OK I'll try the GSpot thing when I have a chance.

Just to be clear, I know this has nothing to do with the PAL/NTSC stuff, I thought I'd make this as simple a question as i could by not mentioning that.

The issue with the -R's had nothing to do with A/V synch, it was that they wouldn't load at all, at least they load and (sort of) play with the +R's
    Quote Quote  
  9. Just noticed the GSpot page on this site says GSpot was updated in '07 to be Vista complient but some reviews there from '09 say it doesn't work on their Vista towers,.

Can someone confirm GSpot is OK with Vista? Don't want to waste my time is all.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go ahead and use GSpot. Maybe something will turn up when you post the screen shot.

If not, there could be something wrong with what MPEG Video Wizard DVD does, either when authoring or burning the DVD.

You could perform a test, to rule out MPEG Video Wizard DVD as the source of your difficulties. Find a problem .mpg that plays correctly on your PC after editing. Demultiplex the problem file's audio and video and re-author a simple menuless DVD using IFOEdit or Muxman (free), then burn the files to DVD+R with ImgBurn.

I have used both IFOEdit and Muxman in the past for authoring DVDs. They play fine on my trusty old old Panasonic DVD recorder, a Toshiba CRT TV with a DVD player, a Philips DVD player, and a few off-brand DVD players that my sister's family has.

I always burn using ImgBurn, although I use DVD-R because of the Panasonic DVD recorder. ImgBurn should work just as well for DVD+R.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just noticed the GSpot page on this site says GSpot was updated in '07 to be Vista complient but some reviews there from '09 say it doesn't work on their Vista towers,.

Can someone confirm GSpot is OK with Vista? Don't want to waste my time is all.
    I have used it with both Vista and Windows 7 (32-bit in both cases). It worked, but I don't remember if I used a compatibility mode or not.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I am converting my vhs collection to dvd using a dvd recorder and I have had at least one dvd that needed the tray exited and entered on the philips 5990 dvd player as it had audio synch issues and then it didn;t
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Go ahead and use GSpot. Maybe something will turn up when you post the screen shot.

If not, there could be something wrong with what MPEG Video Wizard DVD does, either when authoring or burning the DVD.

You could perform a test, to rule out MPEG Video Wizard DVD as the source of your difficulties. Find a problem .mpg that plays correctly on your PC after editing. Demultiplex the problem file's audio and video and re-author a simple menuless DVD using IFOEdit or Muxman (free), then burn the files to DVD+R with ImgBurn.

I have used both IFOEdit and Muxman in the past for authoring DVDs. They play fine on my trusty old old Panasonic DVD recorder, a Toshiba CRT TV with a DVD player, a Philips DVD player, and a few off-brand DVD players that my sister's family has.

I always burn using ImgBurn, although I use DVD-R because of the Panasonic DVD recorder. ImgBurn should work just as well for DVD+R.
    Thanks for this, In a sense I have run a test because, for some reason, in the few cases where I have a mpg that is larger than 4.7 (in which case won't burn on Womble), I burn them with Roxio Creator 2009/MyDVD and they fit/burn just fine (must shrink it for me or something but I won't complain) and the same thing happens when I play those few discs I have burnt from Roxio in those players. I just burnt an ISO disc with CloneDVD and the A/V on those are fine, though the A/V is fine with actual DVD's in those players too so I guess that's expected.

OK I'll try GSpot soon...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    GSpot may still reveal the problem, but if not, Roxio Creator and MyDVD may not be good programs to use for an authoring and burning test. I don't recall many recommendations for them appearing on this website. Considering that Roxio's software is easily obtained and designed for the mass-market, I think it would be suggested for beginners more often if it did everything it should.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 28th Apr 2010 at 23:47. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just to be clear, I know this has nothing to do with the PAL/NTSC stuff, I thought I'd make this as simple a question as i could by not mentioning that.

The issue with the -R's had nothing to do with A/V synch, it was that they wouldn't load at all, at least they load and (sort of) play with the +R's

Just to me MORE clear.....this is the second thread you've started that MANY people have completely wasted their time on.
    You clearly have NO idea what you are talking about.....and you contradict your own statements constantly. Either you are schizophrenic or just get your jollies asking for help then telling people(who know WAY more than you) that they are wrong.
    Either way....you are on your own.
    Bye Bye.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post

Just to me MORE clear.....this is the second thread you've started that MANY people have completely wasted their time on.
    You clearly have NO idea what you are talking about.....and you contradict your own statements constantly. Either you are schizophrenic or just get your jollies asking for help then telling people(who know WAY more than you) that they are wrong.
    Either way....you are on your own.
    Bye Bye.
    That was mature. Get over yourself. I said I was a newbie, hence posting on the newbie board, never said I knew more than others. State the contradiction or leave me alone, never said others were wrong it just made me think of angles I forgot to post about originally when some posted their ideas (like the test burn etc.). Sheesh, I thought this was a friendly place to come and FIND OUT answers to video problems, guess not. Can someone PM/E mail me for help? I don't need to come here and take this. Thanks to those who tried to help me here anyways.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why haven't you learned to research this problem (and I hesitate to call it one) in the FIVE YEARS you've been here? Why are you still a newbie? If you're going to be doing any of this stuff covered on this site, at least learn something.

Why is a minute or so downloading such a waste of time? You could have downloaded Gspot and tested it LONG before someone answered the post.

If you are not going to take any advice offered here, then stop wasting people's time.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I won't continue this discussion via PM or email. Unless the OP returns, I'm done after this.

The difference that allows some home-made DVDs to play in one player/recorder but not others is in the firmware used, but it is not likely anyone can find out which ones are more tolerant of flaws by looking at its features list or price tag.

If home-made DVDs play, but have an audio sync issue, most likely the source files are to blame. In my experience, it doesn't matter if these files play perfectly in their original state or not. However, the software used for editing, authoring, and burning could also have failed to perform all its tasks correctly, or may not work equally well with all the formats it can import.

The software I use for editing and authoring requires elementary streams (demultiplexed audio and video). When my editor imports these files, I sometimes find audio sync issues that I need to correct by specifying an audio delay during editing or authoring. The elementary files that derive from VR mode recordings (from my DVD recorder) and ATSC transport streams (Windows 7 Media Center recordings) usually have this problems, although the original recordings play correctly.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Apr 2010 at 12:12. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DAMN.....someone's getting slapped around a bit huh?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Supreme2k View Post
    Why haven't you learned to research this problem (and I hesitate to call it one) in the FIVE YEARS you've been here? Why are you still a newbie? If you're going to be doing any of this stuff covered on this site, at least learn something.

Why is a minute or so downloading such a waste of time? You could have downloaded Gspot and tested it LONG before someone answered the post.

If you are not going to take any advice offered here, then stop wasting people's time.
    I didn't realize I "had" to spend every waking minute of my life on video. As alien as it may seem to you, I don't. Hence, I DO consider myself a newbie because though I joined the board years ago, I can't spend the amount of time on this I would like to.

Also, I don't consider myself a "techie", this seems to be hard for techies to understand but I don't WANT to know "how" it works, I just want to know when I buy something that it DOES work the way I want.

Since usually quiet told me what I was looking for I don't need to download GSpot now, I would have if he hadn't come along but I'm glad they did because heaven knows what kind of abuse I'd have to wade through from posters like you to get the answer from such posted results.

I'm glad you think spending YOUR time typing out your questioning of my methods (instead of spending that time typing out what usually quiet posted, and you could have answered that since you know evertthing, right?) is productive, I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I won't continue this discussion via PM or email. Unless the OP returns, I'm done after this.

The difference that allows some home-made DVDs to play in one player/recorder but not others is in the firmware used, but it is not likely anyone can find out which ones are more tolerant of flaws by looking at its features list or price tag.

If home-made DVDs play, but have an audio sync issue, most likely the source files are to blame. In my experience, it doesn't matter if these files play perfectly in their original state or not. However, the software used for editing, authoring, and burning could also have failed to perform all its tasks correctly, or may not work equally well with all the formats it can import.

The software I use for editing and authoring requires elementary streams (demultiplexed audio and video). When my editor imports these files, I sometimes find audio sync issues that I need to correct by specifying an audio delay during editing or authoring. The elementary files that derive from VR mode recordings (from my DVD recorder) and ATSC transport streams (Windows 7 Media Center recordings) usually have this problems, although the original recordings play correctly.
    Thanks for answering the specific question I asked, this tells me all I was trying to find out so thank you.

Therefore, I don't expect anyone else to post in this thread. Those above who feel I should obey everything they say and just want to stir the pot may very well continue to post in this thread but I'm saying right now that I will now leave this board so they will be wasting their time. Shame a site like this that seems to have a lot of great information appears to have been taken over by some who lord over like it's theirs and seem very intent on informing everyone that they know everything and people like me know nothing. I'll leave it that way if that's what makes them feel better. I'm happy for them if they feel hanging around a "newbie" board where they can feel superior to others is their way of having fun and "spending their time" in a productive way (go ahead and say how nuts I am all you want, as stated you'll be wasting your time since I'm out of here now and won't see it, I know how important your time is to you, call it punch & run all you want but ask yourself who started the FIGHTING, I asked a question and I'm glad nice people showed up to answer it).

I hope to speak to some of you nicer bunch on another friendly video board somewhere if I can find one.
    Quote Quote