VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi folks, currently have all my MKV's on DVD playing them via WDTV(firmware mod) + USB DVD-rom drive. Works solid, no stuttering, no subtitle issues, no audio isues, what ever I feed it, it just plays. Now i'm interested in a Blu-Ray player(cause BR movies are coming down in price), but do not want to give up my MKV dvd collection. I am not interested in Wifi or USB connectivity, just DVD playbacks please.

I've been skimming through reviews and found a list of BR players that have MKV support. But from the reviews I am getting a 50/50 on the MKV playback feature. Its definitely not as solid as WDTV. There are resolution compatibility issues, folks are putting it through re-encodes, there are audio issues, file extension issues, etc.

So, with all that said, what are folks experiences with this MKV on DVD support feature? Which BR player does the job as good as the WDTV or close to? Or is this still a young feature and will need time for the industry to mature?

Here's the list of BR players with MKV support(not clear on USB only or DVD):
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?DVDname=&Search=Search&bd=1&mkv=1&orderby=Name&hit...Submit2=Search

Love to read all your comments/suggestions/recommendations on BR player, etc. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No standalaone BD player will provide MKV support anywhere near the WDTV
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Buy the OPPO BD-83. That's the Gold Standard. But you have to pay the price as it's $500USD! What does a WDTV go for? And yeah, it does MKV R-E-A-L-L-Y good. Even plays the subs within the container format which a lot of players will not. I'm too poor to afford one myself though. Bummer that....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In my opinion, the DVD and BR player people are interested in playing plastic disks and don't seem to have much interest in NTFS USB support. What's the sense of using MKV with Fat32? It appears to be a philosophy thing. The plastic disk player companies want you to play the plastic disks. They offer some support for their USB ports but not too much and they don't seem to have interest in ISO or MKV. and they don't want you messing with software to convert the plastic disks into something else.

On the other hand, the 2 most popular Media players, the WD from Western Digital and the FAT+ from Seagate seem to indicate that the interest in MKV is with the hard disk companies. Their interest is in selling hard disks and nothing fills up a hard disk as fast as HD MKVs or .m2ts and .ts files. My WD was $100 and so was my FAT+. Both devices are capable of playing movies thru an external BR ROM device or a hard disk and even though I like my FAT better because of it's features, both play MKVs .m2ts and .ts files flawlessly.

I've converted all my BRs to MKV and most of my DVDs to ISO. Takes a lot of hard disks. But its nice not to have to mess with plastic disks.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you buy a BluRay player with the idea of having one machine to play everything, then it's just like playing Divx on a DVD player. Some files won't play. If you need something that plays MKVs well, you need to get a WD TV or something similar. I have a BluRay player AND a WD TV and I use them for different purposes. I'm happy with both. The WD players cost about $100-130 depending on if you want the wireless capability of the Live variant or not (pay more for that one). I have tons of USB flash drives so it's no problem for me to copy files to one of them and move it to my WD TV.

By the way, we got a lot of posts that say "Why won't my MKV files play on BluRay player _______?" here, just like the old "Why won't my Divx/Xvid files play on my DVD player?" question. If you want to play everything on a BluRay player only, then the tradeoff is that you agree to accept it that some files won't play as is and you'll have to fix them, maybe even re-encode them, to get them to work.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
    In my opinion, the DVD and BR player people are interested in playing plastic disks and don't seem to have much interest in NTFS USB support. What's the sense of using MKV with Fat32? It appears to be a philosophy thing. The plastic disk player companies want you to play the plastic disks. They offer some support for their USB ports but not too much and they don't seem to have interest in ISO or MKV. and they don't want you messing with software to convert the plastic disks into something else.

On the other hand, the 2 most popular Media players, the WD from Western Digital and the FAT+ from Seagate seem to indicate that the interest in MKV is with the hard disk companies. Their interest is in selling hard disks and nothing fills up a hard disk as fast as HD MKVs or .m2ts and .ts files. My WD was $100 and so was my FAT+. Both devices are capable of playing movies thru an external BR ROM device or a hard disk and even though I like my FAT better because of it's features, both play MKVs .m2ts and .ts files flawlessly.

I've converted all my BRs to MKV and most of my DVDs to ISO. Takes a lot of hard disks. But its nice not to have to mess with plastic disks.

Tony
    That OPPO is NTFS compatible. So are the LGs that accept MKVs. That's from hard discs as well as flash drives....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldfart13 View Post

That OPPO is NTFS compatible. So are the LGs that accept MKVs. That's from hard discs as well as flash drives....

Oppo Blu-ray Disc Player Manual BDP-83 Page 40

"Supported USB drives must be formatted with the FAT or FAT32 file system. Drives formatted with the NTFS file system are not supported."
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dLee View Post
    Originally Posted by oldfart13 View Post

Oppo Blu-ray Disc Player Manual BDP-83 Page 40

"Supported USB drives must be formatted with the FAT or FAT32 file system. Drives formatted with the NTFS file system are not supported."
    My mistake. I thought they had paid the fee but I guess LG is the only one that will accept NTFS drives then?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is this Xtreamer Media Player. it supports MKV and Bluray iso, so as FLAC too... http://www.xtreamer.net/pro-minisite/xtreamerPRO.html
    Quote Quote