VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Being sick of my kids scratching and loosing dvds, I copied them all in MKV onto an external HDD which I then plugged into a WDTV. This ended up being over one hundred movies, yet it worked brilliantly. The other day I the HDD wouldn't work and when I plugged it into the computer it asked for it to be reformatted!

I've used a recovery program and copied the files onto another HDD, however most them won't work. I used MediaInfo on the broken files and it shows no details regarding the format, codec, etc only the container size.. What can I d to recover them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    One reason I back up my BD>MKV conversions to DVD DL disc. I set their size to fit. I've already lost one 500GB HDD full of MKVs, but I have the DL discs to restore them.

What recovery program did you use? Some work better than others. When you say, 'most them won't work', not a good sign. I would expect just a few wouldn't work if the recovery was moderately successful. Also, how big is the drive that wouldn't work?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there

I used filescavenger 3.2 which allowed me to get the files off the WD 1 terrabyte onto another. I think I'm screwed, but I was hoping maybe there's a way to recover the codec info back into the files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am curious what you mean by "crashed"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Basically, i could watch movies one day, the next day the drive isn't being recognised. Plug it into a computer and it wants to be formatted and I can't see the files in it. oh well.
    Quote Quote