VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. wanting to demux some video and edit some of the audio from dts-hd and ac3 sources,
    what should i be looking at to edit up the demuxed audio sources?
    Quote Quote  
  2. As other posters have indicated, there doesn't seem to be anything available to edit AC3 directly.

I've been making some progress in that area. I've reasoned out that you really don't need to.

All you really need to do is extract ("rip") the audio and convert. A little while back I splurged a little and got AVS. The ad listed a plethora of file formats for the audio converter including AC3, just the thing. After I downloaded I didn't see AC3 in the direct selection so I thought, "what gives"?

Turns out, on the left you can import from video (select ifo) to whatever format. I chose WAV.

Then you can use a video editor to import wav into audio track and edit that way. The avs lets you split and slide the audio around relative to video. Since we are going to reconvert everything back into video anyway, seems like it should be OK.

The only question now is whether the DVD will still "like" the 2 channel stereo WAV when it goes back into the VOB as an AC3 which is ostensibly 6 channels. The editor allows additional audio tracks so still need to try adding in all the other AC3 extractions and see if they carry over.

In other words, will alternate channel selection on the player e.g. movie track vs. commentary still work or will they all be glommed together? I don't know. Needs more experimenting.
    Last edited by apostrophe; 25th Apr 2010 at 03:36. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  3. to resurrect the post , there must be a way to edit any audio stream... why cant this be done what is the problem...
    Last edited by krohm; 7th May 2010 at 14:42.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What do you mean it can't be done? Use an audio editor

a free one is audacity, it can import ac3 sources directly when set up correctly with ffmpeg in the options

dts-hd probably needs to be converted to wav channels first
    Quote Quote  
  5. what are some audio editors that can edit do dts-hd and ac3...
    Quote Quote  
  6. dts-hd master audio suite (~$1500)

No freeware can edit directly, and no freeware can encode back to dts-hd-ma

It's meant as a final format; all editing is usually done as uncompressed WAV channels then encoded to dts-ma
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 7th May 2010 at 15:32.
    Quote Quote  
  7. so how can i get each of the channels to wav uncompressed,,. . ??? then i could edit the wavs individually, ? i have no idea obviously
    is this easily done, is there where eac3to would work yeah??
    Quote Quote  
  8. yes eac3to would work, you export as mono wavs , then import those into your audio editor
    Quote Quote