VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its Friday night as i type this....

Today I bought a CAD U37 microphone (USB-based) to hook to my laptop to record the orchestra pit at a high school musical. I want to get a high quality recording of the orchestra to MIX into my audio track on the school's video.

I recorded tonight using the CAD U37 mic hooked to my laptop using Kristal for ACT1 and then Audacity for ACT2

Both recordings were HORRIBLE! Clipping and blownout audio because the gain was set too high. As far as I know both software programs CANNOT adjust the mic level low enough to get high quality sound.

Tomrrw night (sat night) is the Final night of the musical and looking for a free audio recording software program that will allow me to reduce the gain to acceptable levels.

Any ideas to help out a videographer the night before the finale?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not familiar with that Mic but you shouldn't be using auto gain (AGC). Figure out peak audio level (without clipping) and leave gain there.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Seems to be a USB connected Mic. It has a -10Db pad switch. Try setting the switch to -10Db if you haven't already done so, and if that is not enought, pull the Mic back from the orchestra pit.

Did any software/manual come with the Mic? If so, one would think that there would be something to control the recording volume (or at least some hint).

Assuming that you are using Windows, you probably know that the the playback volume controls are seperate from the recording volume controls. If not, make sure that you are using the correct recording volume control (in addition to the master recording control).
    Andrew Jackson: "It's a poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a small mixer with level controls would be nice, but then you'd need to get xlr mics too. you might check with the music department there, they most likely have the equipment. or they may have an operating sound board already you could use for input.

but, it's too late anyway to set a proper level if you waited to the last day, it should have been set during dress rehearsals when you could have monitored it for the whole show to set it just below peak....

use the cam mic audio with a manual setting that will be below peak, as long as it's close but under you can always increase the level later if needed. if your cam is positioned far enough away from, behind or above the audience with a directional mic it should be fine. assuming it's at least a prosumer cam that has manual audio level.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote