This issue also plagued me for years with plain DVD players. The issue is some DVD and Bluray players do not support closed captioning at all, and I am quite dependent on this as I am deaf. I ended up with a Sony player that was nearly $100 more than most DVD players only because it has working closed captioned support.

I have already returned a BR player, and my current BR player a Magnavox, both did not support closed captioning at all. There is no setting in the setup to enable closed captioning, and setting for default English subtitle doesn't do anything on DVDs that has no subtitle, only closed captioning.

I tried to contact Magnavox but they don't offer online support and their phone number is decidedly unfriendly with TDD relay service. SO I can't call to ask them for help or to complain. It seems to me Magnavox is discriminating against deaf and hard of hearing.

Can anyone suggest a GOOD blu-ray player that has WORKING closed captioning via either component or HDMI? Or do I need to take this up to FCC and let them know some companies are discriminating against deaf and hard of hearing by leaving out closed captioning support? I still remember the outcry from some TV maker about cost when FCC made closed captioning required on all TV 13" and larger back in 1990.