VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I understand that movies in standard definition are broadcast in either 480i or 480p. How can this be determined? Do I set the PVR up any differently than I would when recording a 16:9 HD movie at 1920x1080. I am assuming the SD movies will still be recorded at 1920x1080. Do these need to be resized to 720 when converted to MKV?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by turbines View Post
    I understand that movies in standard definition are broadcast in either 480i or 480p. How can this be determined? Do I set the PVR up any differently than I would when recording a 16:9 HD movie at 1920x1080. I am assuming the SD movies will still be recorded at 1920x1080. Do these need to be resized to 720 when converted to MKV?
    Don't sweat it. ALL modern HD video is digital, so I would assume that a HD PVR does exactly the same as what my SD one does - captures the original broadcast stream and stores it as-is. So whatever the program is broadcast in, that's what it'll be stored as. If the station you're recording from is exclusively SD, or has the good sense to broadcast the material at it's original size, then you'll get 480i / 480p. If they've upscaled it, then you'll get 720p / 1080i / whatever. There's nothing you have to - or even CAN - do to affect this.

If it's one that doesn't take an aerial signal but instead, e.g. a component or HDMI input, then I'd still expect it to detect the resolution of the material coming in and adjust accordingly.
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good info. Thanks
    Quote Quote