VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a srt file i want to change Font/Size and color... I have subtitle workshop but rarely use it..is their a way i can do it within that programme..i cant seem to find a way if their is... or maybe someone can suggest something else...Ps i want to keep the file as a srt when saved back out..Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can't change any such settings in a srt file. You must adjust those settings in the player that uses the srt file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Oh...thanks for the quick reply.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not with .srt, AFAIK. They are just text that the playback device interprets. You would have to make adjustments with the playback device. Other types of subs are adjustable.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been able to adjust srt font, size, color, etc using Subresync from the Vobsub package. Actually, I only used it once and found a style that I like and I now simply use the same style on all of the files that I hardsub.

Basically, I have a file called style.txt that looks like this:
    Code:
    ScriptType: v4.00+
    PlayResX: 1280
    PlayResY: 720

[V4+ Styles]
    Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, OutlineColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, Underline, StrikeOut, ScaleX, ScaleY, Spacing, Angle, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Encoding
    Style: Default,Tahoma,48,&H00ffffff,&H0000ffff,&H00000000,&H80000000,0,0,0,0,100,100,0,0.00,0,1,0,2,20,20,20,1
    Let's say I have a movie and srt called movie.mp4 and movie.srt. I copy style.txt to movie.srt.style. Now, when vobsub (vsfilter in avisynth) displays the subtitle it uses the style defined in the .style file.

update: I am not sure how you are trying to use these srt files. This method will work when hardsub'ing and should also work when playing back on PC. Not sure about other players though.
    Last edited by txporter; 22nd Apr 2010 at 16:11. Reason: update
    Quote Quote  
  6. Delete the post.
    Last edited by Charmer; 10th Aug 2011 at 12:58.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by charmed94 View Post
    Hm, interesting, txporter. I didn't know for that, but I can't make it work.

I copied that coded thing into notepad and saved it to .txt. Then I changed the name to the movie's and changed the extension to .style, like you said. Then I opened the movie with MPC-HC, but I don't see any difference.

Does it has to display through VobSub? Also, what are the difference with this .style file?
    For normal, soft subtitles, I do not need .style file at all, 'cause it's useless. But for hardsubing, it's not.
    I am not sure if you had it set up correctly or not. Did you have files that looked like this?
    movietitle.mp4 (video file)
    movietitle.srt (subtitle file)
    movietitle.srt.style (style file - text in the [code] box above)

Vobsub is what is used to display the subtitles. You are probably already using it with MPC-HC.

Not sure I understand your last statement about soft subs vs hard subs. You got it to work with hardsubs but not soft?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Delete the post.
    Last edited by Charmer; 10th Aug 2011 at 12:59.
    Quote Quote