VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have some .avi files on my computer that when I try to run them Windows Media Player comes up with the error:
    Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

I used GSpot v2.70a to see if I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the files because that normally helps, but the error I got just left me hanging and now I am at a loss at what to do.

(Src)-->>--(A)-->[AVI Splitter]>--(B)-->[Xvid MPEG-4 Video Decoder]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer]
    Failed to connect Output pin 0x057ab7fc ("Src Media") on Battlestar Galactica s01e01 - 33.avi to input pin 0x057ab9ac ("input pin") on filter 0x03a5205d ("AVI Splitter").ConnectDirect() failed. Error: 0x80040207: [unknown]
    (Src)-->>--(A)-->[AVI Splitter]>--(B)-->[DivX Decoder Filter]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer]
    Failed to connect Output pin 0x057a5094 ("Src Media") on Battlestar Galactica s01e01 - 33.avi to input pin 0x057ae754 ("input pin") on filter 0x03a5205d ("AVI Splitter").ConnectDirect() failed. Error: 0x80040207: [unknown]
    (Src)-->>--(A)-->[AVI Splitter]>--(B)-->[VFW:DivX 6.8.5 Codec (2 Logical CPUs) ]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer]
    Failed to connect Output pin 0x057a4e6c ("Src Media") on Battlestar Galactica s01e01 - 33.avi to input pin 0x057ae6ac ("input pin") on filter 0x03a5205d ("AVI Splitter").ConnectDirect() failed. Error: 0x80040207: [unknown]

From what I can gather, it is something about the AVI Splitter not being able to do it's job but saying it can, or something like that? Any help fixing this little problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Preston
    Last edited by Facelyss; 21st Apr 2010 at 21:11. Reason: Removing smilies in error message.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What else does GSpot say about the video? Post a screen shot.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	GSpot SS.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	1454

Here is the screen shot.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The 720x404 frame size could be a problem for some decoders. Some don't like mod4 (404 is mod4) or less. But all recent versions of Xvid and Divx should work with mod4. The only other thing I see that's unusual is the '"rec list" style' in the container info. I've never seen that before. Can you re-mux it with VirtualDub or AviDemux?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    So I downloaded AviDemux and then opened the file, clicked yes a couple times, and then saved... It works perfectly now. I have no idea what was wrong or how that fixed it, but thank you a bunch! xP
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Hmm, well I should have watched further into the video. It does play now at least, but the video itself is super shakey. The sound matches fine and the quality is good, just it looks like there is an earthquake going on or something.

Oh and when I said for AviDemux to unpack it said it succeeded but the index was not up to date.
    Last edited by Facelyss; 21st Apr 2010 at 23:13.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Can you provide a short sample? Try using AviDemux to trim out a section with ~10 seconds before the video get jerky, continuing ~10 seconds after it gets jerky. Leave both Video and Audio in COPY mode, save as AVI, then upload it here.
    Quote Quote