VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I’m trying to make some short music videos in real time (“live”) using a sony dvr-trv120. I’m plugging directly into a gateway M350 laptop.

Using a mike picks up too much ambient noise and the mike input gain level/limiter on the dvr-trv120 is apparently fixed. It’s too hot and cannot be attenuated. So,……………….I have a couple of different audio editing programs: Sony Sound Forge 7 and Cakewalk 6 LE. The only video program I have is Windows Movie Maker. I also have a roland UA-25 EX ext. sound card I can use instead of the sigmatel crd that came stock.

I want to shoot the video, recording the audio portion separately but, in sync.
    Can this be done with hardware/software described above?

Thank you for any advice.

Denster

gateway M350 laptop, sony dvr-trv120 camcorder, Windows Movie Maker, Cakewalk 6 LE, Sony Sound Forge 7, roland UA-25 EX ext. sound card, behringer pwrd. Mixer, Mackie un-powered mixer
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well, it may work. The possible weak point is your analog 8mm camcorder and how you intend to capture the video.

Just a few weeks ago I had to do a similar exercise. The video was from two analog video cameras going through a live mixer and recorded directly to DVD (using a pro-grade recorder). Separate mics were fed into an audio mixing board, reduced to stereo and recorded with the video on the DVD.

Separately, the audio (in an auditorium) was recorded direct-to-disk via two condensor mics.

I volunteered to replace the audio on the DVD with the higher quality direct-to-disk recording. I was given the DVD and a CD of WAV files. I expected a very tedious exercise but I was pleasantly relieved that all I had to do was sync up one frame and the remaining 70 minutes were perfectly sync'd.

Now, the video chain was analog up to the DVD recorder and your situation will be similar. But it was pro equipment. Digital video equipment - even consumer - has strict specifications regarding sample frequency accuracy etc (parts per million). I would suggest the external audio card. Your software may limit you. Older versions of Cakewalk used to have a video playback feature (probably still does) and you can use it to assemble the audio track. I think WMM will let you change the audio track (can't recall). This may be your stumbling block, though. If this is a one-off, you might consider a demo version of video editing package that isn't crippled.

Hence why I say that it may work. You need to try it out with your particular hardware.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Denster, Do not post the same topic on several forums, once is enough. If you wish a thread moved, PM a Mod.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote