VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Delete the post.
    Last edited by Charmer; 10th Aug 2011 at 11:59.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by charmed94 View Post
    Please, I expect a fast answer. I need this quickly.
    WRONG thing to say when asking for help.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    dvdrebuilder with hcencoder is the best.

ANd I'm moving you to our dvd ripping and converting/shrinking section.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Delete the post.
    Last edited by Charmer; 10th Aug 2011 at 12:00.
    Quote Quote  
  5. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    That's a strange response. There's nothing wrong with asking for quick help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Delete the post.
    Last edited by Charmer; 10th Aug 2011 at 12:01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post
    He already apologized for "expecting" quick help JohnnyBob....no need to bring a knife to a gun fight.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would first like to backup the full DVD-9 to HD, so I would not harm the DVD while this long process of encoding.
    What is the best application for that? I know for DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink, but I think these are very outdated and I don't know if it is going to work with this DVD.
    I have DVDCloner, and I guess it is going to work just fine with 100% of original quality, because it will create 1:1 DVD. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Do you really want to keep ALL of the DVD...including the extras and nag screens and warnings and previews of movies you are not interested in?.....then do a complete backup.
    Personally I'd rip the disc to my hard drive then load it into DVDShrink and select ONLY the movie. You'd be surprised how many bloated dual layer DVD releases contain the main feature(movie) that can easily have fit on a single layer DVD.....the rest is just garbage to most people.
    My two cents anyway....
    Quote Quote  
  9. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I would first like to backup the full DVD-9 to HD, so I would not harm the DVD while this long process of encoding.
    What is the best application for that? I know for DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink, but I think these are very outdated and I don't know if it is going to work with this DVD.
    I have DVDCloner, and I guess it is going to work just fine with 100% of original quality, because it will create 1:1 DVD. Correct me if I am wrong.
    DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink are fine, if they work, and I find that they work 90%+ of the time, particularly for pre-2005 DVDs. Personally I use RipIt4Me for first tries, which invokes the prior two titles automatically as well as a built-in FixVTS. If that doesn't work I resort to DVDFab, which almost invariably works, unless possibly it's a very recent release (within the last few weeks/months). I'm not familiar with DVDCloner. If you set any of these rippers to 100%(R9/DVD9) you shouldn't lose any quality with the transfer to HD. The only qualification is that I recommend running FixVTS on the resulting HD VIDEO-TS folder files to correct possible pointer errors which happen occasionally, especially with DVDFab. Then you should be all set to shrink with software of your choice.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post

Nobody here gets paid to provide replies. Consequently none of us has any obligation to provide quick help. For example, many helpful posters don't participate on weekends here because they have better things to do.

And what on earth is so important about shrinking a DVD that it has to be done now as opposed to 4 hours from now or tomorrow or the next day? I've often found that the more desperate a poster is for immediate help, the less of a real emergency it usually is.
    Quote Quote  
  11. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Those who don't want to help should keep their mouth shut, not insult the poster. That makes this an unfriendly forum.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by JohnnyBob View Post
    Those who don't want to help should keep their mouth shut, not insult the poster. That makes this an unfriendly forum.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with hech54's response to the original poster's untactful tone/phrasing. Regulars here are helpful, but there's no reason why they should ignore comments that sound insulting or entitled instead of responding to them. We're not a business dealing with customers here; no need to coddle people asking questions.

(In case you didn't realize it, charmed94's phrasing was rude.)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most of the time, DVDFab main movie only rips work just fine(for me)..If however there's a good 2hr + action type flick, I'll rip full disc to HDD and let DVDRB Pro w/HCenc do it's thing to DVD-5 size..Works for me!..
    Ya gotta love these gun/knife fights..
    To each their own!..
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by t0nee1 View Post
    Most of the time, DVDFab main movie only rips work just fine(for me)....
    This is my basic process:

DVDFAB (main movie only) -> HDD (video_ts folder) -> DVDShrink (if needed) OR DVD Rebuilder (if needed) -> HDD (I save the resized video_ts folder in place of the original) -> imgburn (burning software strongly recommended by this forum for good reason!)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Delete the post.
    Last edited by Charmer; 10th Aug 2011 at 12:04.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The important thing about shrinking a DVD is that I have to return it to my friend tomorrow, I wouldn't say that if there wasn't emergency.
    How is that an emergency and who says you have to backup now? Rip the whole dvd to the hard drive and test....return the dvd to your friend. Then you can take your sweet time figuring out how to do a full backup to dvd5.

There are guides to your left
    Quote Quote  
  17. Delete the post.
    Last edited by Charmer; 10th Aug 2011 at 12:05.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You do not need to have five copies of the same DVD on your drive ("5 DVDs of the same content"). That's simply redundant. You only need to copy it once, then burn DVDs from that copy.

It's time to get a new hard drive and to start using dual-layer discs. Both are cheap enough now that there is no excuse to be left with no space on your HD, or the need to shrink your discs.

You really shouldn't have needed to read beyond the second response (Baldrick). The DVD-Rebuilder site has a FAQ and tells you exactly how to set it up. As a matter of fact, there was probably no need for this thread at all. You even searched for a guide elsewhere, so you've basically wasted everyone's time.

Even though hech54, jman98 and other posts seem like they don't belong, they are very helpful if you use the lesson contained in them. They are showing that there is a method to getting your questions answered (don't be greedy or demanding), and to include as much info as possible in order to solve your problem. As it stands, your problem is very petty (not that there are any real emergencies cropping up on these boards).
    Quote Quote  
  19. Delete the post.
    Last edited by Charmer; 10th Aug 2011 at 12:06.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't understand what was rude by saying that I needed a little bit faster response to my problem.
    The rude bit was saying you 'expect' a fast answer - that's almost like demanding it.
    Perhaps you meant 'hope for' instead of 'expect' - in some languages (eg Spanish 'esperar'), the same word is used for both.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Delete the post.
    Last edited by Charmer; 10th Aug 2011 at 12:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LJB View Post
    imgburn (burning software strongly recommended by this forum for good reason!)
    And the reason is? I don't know.
    Imgburn has been proven to be the most reliable software for burning dvd-/+r(w) and dvd +r dl media.
    Also remember to stick with good quality media like TY or verbatim dvd -/+r media or verbatim dvd +r dl media.
    I always burn first to a verbatim dvd-rw to ensure a good burn, then i copy to a verbatim dvd-r.
    Good luck with your project.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I guess that's one of the problems of an international site like this is that sometimes things just don't translate quite like what they were meant to be.

Charmed94 the only thing that I can suggest to you is to change your location to show your actual location (country). That way the native english speakers here would understand that english wasn't your primary language. Then people might let things like what you wrote slide.

As far as your english goes it's actually pretty good. A lot better than I do at speaking foreign languages. The only one I can halfway get by in is Spanish and I'm not very good at that.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by freebird73717 View Post
    Ionly thing that I can suggest to you is to change your location to show your actual location (country). That way the native english speakers here would understand that english wasn't your primary language.
    Yes. Do this.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  25. Delete the post.
    Last edited by Charmer; 10th Aug 2011 at 12:08.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Delete the post.
    Last edited by Charmer; 10th Aug 2011 at 12:08.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Yes, HCEncoder is pretty much superior. IIRC, it's been helped by innovations from more advanced codecs (e.g. adaptive quantization was ported from x264), and Hank is very dedicated. Another win for free software.
    Last edited by creamyhorror; 24th Apr 2010 at 10:08.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Delete the post.
    Last edited by Charmer; 10th Aug 2011 at 12:09.
    Quote Quote  
  29. It has often been said that HCEnc is a superior encoder for low bitrates. My own experience leads me to believe that is correct, it's probably a better choice than CCE for low bitrates. However, to imply that CCE is inferior overall is stretching the point. It sounds to me that the CCE setting for flat-part priority (quantization) was radically wrong for the available bitrate. And of course CCE is a good deal faster, with comparable output to HCEnc at reasonable bitrates.

Nevertheless, HCEnc is a damn good encoder, and it's free.

I hope I'm not starting something here, but this subject has been discussed a lot over the years.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Delete the post.
    Last edited by Charmer; 10th Aug 2011 at 12:09.
    Quote Quote