VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is this possible?

I have several MP4 files that I can edit and embed cover art in them so they appear in windows browser (makes it much easier to view files)

However, I am playing around with MKV files as the MP4 files cannot contain AC3 5.1 audio. Is there a way of embedding artwork in MKV files as you can with MP4 files?

I had quick look on the forum but did not find any answers?

Many thanks. eon
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried mkvtoolnix / mkvmergegui?

But MP4 can contain ac3 5.1. Or do you have a player that does not support mp4 with ac3?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    As Baldrick says, MP4 can indeed support AC3 5.1 The MP4 spec got changed to support it. If you have some older hardware that enforces the earlier spec, not much we can do about that.

Sorry, I can't help you with the artwork question.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I obviously had that completely wrong - all of the software I have been using would not let me encode an mp4 with ac3 5.1 - they only accepted AAC.

Can you point me in a good direction for software to encode to mp4 with ac3? I had been using handbreak for all my previous mp4's (which did a fantastic job) but that did not work with ac3 - the ac3 passthrough would not play, but it does allow AAC with 6 channel discrete?

look forward to hearing your suggestions
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't latest handbrake support that?

Or else can you try multiplex the mp4 and the ac3 with a separate multiplexer like yamb or mymp4boxgui or mp4muxer.
    Quote Quote