VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have two avi files which are about 1/2 gig in size each. I would like to join these together as one file that can be watched all the way through. What is the best way to do this without losing quality?

Thanks,

TC
    My Dell PC system info.....3.4 Ghz Quad Core i7 processor....... 12 gigs of ram DDR3...... Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.......video card Nvidia GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, simply fire up Avidemux-> File->Open, load first avi->File-> Append-> add 2nd avi, set 'Copy for VIDEO and Audio and save as new.avi, making sure to include the file extension..That's one way of doing it..
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
    What is the best way to do this without losing quality?
    Unless they have the same exact properties one will need to be re-encoded to match the other resulting in quality loss.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The two avi files that I was trying to merge do have the exact same properties and they were encoded with the exact same software. So I am fine in that regard.

I took the suggestion above(avidemux) and that did work well.

Also, in case anyone else ever stumbles across this post and has the same issue....... i found a free program which can join avi files and also a few other file types. It is not as powerful as avidemux but it is easier to use. It is called "ez joiner." They do ask you to register this product, but it is still no charge.

http://doeasier.org/joiner/downloads.html

TC
    Last edited by True Colors; 24th Apr 2010 at 22:29.
    My Dell PC system info.....3.4 Ghz Quad Core i7 processor....... 12 gigs of ram DDR3...... Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.......video card Nvidia GTX 650
    Quote Quote