VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Okay. I have a bunch of MKV files that I want to put on my iPod. But you see, the subtitles aren't hard subs. They aren't separate files, either--they're embedded into the MKV. I used a program to convert them to MP4 files, but the subtitles vanished . How would I get these videos into MP4 without losing the subtitles and their quality?

In short --> MKV file with embedded subs --> I want it hard subbed so there is always subs no matter if I convert it or anything

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would help to know what software you have already tried.

Some tools can read the subs inside and use them when converting, some cannot. You can always use MKVExtractGUI (and mkvtoolnix) to get the subs out so your current convers0on tool can read them (assuming it handles external subs and this video has subs in a format your tool can read)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    It would help to know what software you have already tried.

Some tools can read the subs inside and use them when converting, some cannot. You can always use MKVExtractGUI (and mkvtoolnix) to get the subs out so your current convers0on tool can read them (assuming it handles external subs and this video has subs in a format your tool can read)
    I have tried MKVExtract but i can't get it to work on Windows 7.

I want to know if there is a program to just hard sub the embedded files.

How do I use the MKVToolnix to extract the subs from the mkv file as a *.srt or, hard sub them to the mkv?
    Last edited by j03uen; 19th Apr 2010 at 02:44.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you put mkvtoolnix in the same folder as MKVExtractGUI ? The GUI is a frontend to the commmand line tools in mkvtoolnix, so you need them all bundled together.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks, for your reply. Ok, I have now got the sub file extract from the video. It's a *.ass file. What's the easiest way to hard sub it from here.

Is there a way to extract the sub and then hard sub the files but do it in bulk? I have a lot of vids to do this for
    Quote Quote