VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I have a bunch of old VHS tapes that I want to back up and convert to digital. One of them I was trying it on is a commercial release VHS of Charlie Brown Flashbeagle (1984). I'm using a Panasonic AG-1980 to play the tapes and an ADVC-300 to convert to digital to capture using Sony Vegas. This stupid copy inhibit signal screws up the ADVC-300 preventing me from getting a clear picture. Audio is good, but picture is unwatchable. I tried two other means, hooking up the Panasonic VCR to a Sony Digital8 VCR, GV-D200 and Sony Handicam DCR-TRV80. Copy inhibit prevents me from recording to these other devices as well and actually stops the recording. THIS IS SO ANNOYING. It's all well and good that these companies want to protect their media. But how the hell am I supposed to back up these old VHS tapes? Most of these tapes that I have are out of print and not on DVD. I really don't want to have a third device for canceling out the copy inhibit or Macrovision signal that I have read about in several threads here. What is that, a signal booster or something? I'd much rather get a new VCR that has one built in. Do they make VHS/DVD recorder combos with the copy inhibit canceler? If so, it would have to have S-Video out because that is what I use to connect to my ADVC-300 capture device. Please help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably more than you want to know about Macrovision : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rovi_Corporation Scroll down to 'Analog copy protection' which specifically relates to analog tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Probably more than you want to know about Macrovision : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rovi_Corporation Scroll down to 'Analog copy protection' which specifically relates to analog tapes.
    Yeah, that's a lot to take in and a bit overwhelming. Does anyone have any specific answers to my questions that would directly help me?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think you would need a full TBC (time base corrector). Do a search here for TBC and you will find a lot of posts about them and their use in cleaning up the signal on commercial tapes so that you can transfer them to dvd (or whatever format you prefer).

I don't have one so I can't be of much help but I know that there are many here who do. Check out Lord Smurf's site www.digitalfaq.com . He has some good info about TBC's about halfway down this page.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/capture-playback-hardware.htm
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To overcome the problem of the macrovision copy protection on VHS tapes you'd need to buy a device that was made pre DCMA. In some cases a video enhancer filters out the white shades that create the protection.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by lowellriggsiam View Post
    To overcome the problem of the macrovision copy protection on VHS tapes you'd need to buy a device that was made pre DCMA. In some cases a video enhancer filters out the white shades that create the protection.
    That's the thing. I really don't want to have to hook up a third device between my VCR and my capture device. I'd rather get a new VCR that has it built in.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ShaneJensen View Post
    I'd rather get a new VCR that has it built in.
    Not gonna happen.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Not gonna happen.
    Why?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Not gonna happen.
    Why?
    What part of "Macrovision" didn't you understand?
    What part of "ANY of the advise/statements from people who have been dealing
    with this exact same scenario for decades" didn't you understand?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sony MiniDV camcorders with Analog - Digital Pass Through will convert on the fly the tapes protected by Macrovision but will not record protected content on MiniDV tapes. So don`t try to backup the protected VHS tapes on to MiniDV tapes unless you put a device between vcr and camcorder that remove protection (Sima or simular boxes, or a external TBC).
    With a similar camcoder (Sony TRV33E) I can do that: receive over firewire digitized signal from protected VHS tapes. So, with Sony DCR-TRV80 and DVIO as a capture software should do the task.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I picked up an old Hauppauge 150 on Craigslist for $15 for my VHS captures. No macrovision problems and nice captures. You could use either a Hauppauge 150, 250 or a 350. Try Ebay.
    Last edited by GKar; 18th Apr 2010 at 07:27.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Not gonna happen.
    Why?
    Danno78 and GKar, thank you very much for the suggestions. I will look into these.

Hech54, no thank you for you as your post was ZERO help to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You'll have to add another device, preferably a full external TBC.
    There is no other choice -- aside from NOT converting the video.

This is already covered in a sticky. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/189455-How-to-address-anti-copy-%28Macrovision%29-errors
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not gonna happen.
    Why?
    Danno78 and GKar, thank you very much for the suggestions. I will look into these.

You should check out this site. I picked up my VHS capture hardware based on this information:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/index-record-capture.htm

The recommended JVC HR-S9800U SVHS player works great. Found two on craigslist for $65 each (real lucky).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Keep banging your head against that wall numbnut.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Keep banging your head against that wall numbnut.
    Hech54, Keep your insults off this page. The purpose of this forum is to HELP people, not hurl grade school type insults at one another. What are you in, middle school?

Lordsmurf and GKar, thank you very much for your suggestions. I will look into these as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hech54, Keep your insults off this page. The purpose of this forum is to HELP people, not hurl grade school type insults at one another. What are you in, middle school?

Lordsmurf and GKar, thank you very much for your suggestions. I will look into these as well.

Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Are you going to thank me too for telling you the same exact thing Shane?

Anyone want to bet Shane comes back later and says he captured the video without
    any Macrovision removal tool but gives no details?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post

Are you going to thank me too for telling you the same exact thing Shane?

Anyone want to bet Shane comes back later and says he captured the video without
    any Macrovision removal tool but gives no details?
    You do not deserve any thank yous because you resort to childish insults. Now leave me alone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hech54 has just been giving you his "can the noob take it" test. The more you respond the funnier it gets. He's a riot.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by GKar View Post
    hech54 has just been giving you his "can the noob take it" test. The more you respond the funnier it gets. He's a riot.
    Well, I'm not a "noob". Look at my join date, I've been here since June of 2004. Almost six years and my posts go back that far even though I'm not here as frequently. And I don't think it's a riot being rude to people like that. This isn't the purpose of these forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you Google the name of the copy protection, and ADVC110, you will learn something interesting.

If you Google the name of the copy protection, and ADVC300, you will learn that it probably won't work with the hardware you have.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 110 isn't any better than the 300 -- it's unreliable for "ignoring" the "protection" (errors).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GKar View Post
    The recommended JVC HR-S9800U SVHS player works great. Found two on craigslist for $65 each (real lucky).
    Wow, what condition were they in?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 110 isn't any better than the 300 -- it's unreliable for "ignoring" the "protection" (errors).
    Do you have both? Have you tried "the trick" (that 5 seconds of googling will find!) on both?

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  25. You will lose quality and the sound will likely be mono but if you hook up the antennae connection OUT to the antennae connection IN of another VCR then you will likely get a copy.
    The quality will be bad though the ADVC 300 can handle some of it.

I just decided to get a nice macorvision remover box though. Much better, easier and convenient.
    Quote Quote  
  26. According to LS, those cassettes should last for like 25 years, no need to back them up now to DVD, which may or may not last that long.

Play it on your tv then record it with a camcorder or your digital camera in video mode.

Yes, there are macro free VCRs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deuce8pro View Post
    Originally Posted by GKar View Post
    Wow, what condition were they in?

They were in excellent condition. Sold one on Ebay for $375.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not just buy the DVD ver
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    Number one, because it's out of print. Number two, I have dozens other features that are out of print that have that damned copy inhibit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post

There were quite a few VHS's that were never put on DVD as of yet. These are the ones I transfer to DVD. Latest one's I transferred were the colorized versions of "The Thing From Another World" and "The Big Sky" as well as a little known movie Kevin Costner produced called "Rapa Nui" about the Easter Islanders.
    Quote Quote