VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Media Player Classic - Home Cinema
    http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

ATI TV Tuner USB style
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?num=100&hl=en&q=diamond+tv+wonder+tuner+pc+usb&...wAg#ps-sellers
    ========================================

I have a Dell PC at home. I installed the Media Player Classic home Cinema player(linked above) and it worked great for a long time. However, I have a problem now.

I recently installed a TV tuner card(USB style) and its software(linked above).

For some reason, my MPC-HC still works on playing mpg files, but it will no longer play MKV files. I tried to fix this problem by disconnecting the TV tuner card and closing down the software. However, that did not work. The MPC-HC still will not play MKV files.

Any ideas? I guess I could uninstall the TV tuner card completely but i would like to keep it if possible.

TC
    Last edited by True Colors; 17th Apr 2010 at 17:49.
    My Dell PC system info.....3.4 Ghz Quad Core i7 processor....... 12 gigs of ram DDR3...... Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.......video card Nvidia GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The card software may have overwritten the MPC codec for MKV playback. You might try uninstalling the tuner card software, and MPC, then install the tuner software first, then MPC and see if it puts the proper codec back. Or you may be able to make an adjustment in MPC if the codec is still on your system.

Someone else more familiar with the workings of MPC-HC may be able to give better advice.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is a good idea.

Actually, I did try something similar to that. I should have mentioned earlier that I uninstalled the MPC-HC and then I reinstalled it. That did not work.

TC
    My Dell PC system info.....3.4 Ghz Quad Core i7 processor....... 12 gigs of ram DDR3...... Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.......video card Nvidia GTX 650
    Quote Quote  
  4. MPCHC has the option of using its own file reader and decoders, or system installed versions. Try swtiching Source Filters and Transform Filters: View -> Options -> Internal Filters. You have to exit and restart MPCHC for the changes to take effect.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay........ so if I want to MPC-HC to use its own file readers and decoders then I should make sure that the boxes are checked........ or unchecked?

Thanks,

TC
    Quote Quote  
  6. When the boxes are checked MPCHC will use its own internal filters. When they are unchecked MPCHC will look for DirectShow filters.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The software you installed took over some file types. Either open MPC-HC > View > Options > Formats > Matroska Media File or...

(click on picture to start animation)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.gif
Views:	695
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	1361  

Quote Quote  
  8. It depends on what he means by "MPC-HC... will no longer play MKV files." If he means another player (or no player) plays the files when he double clicks on them, then yes, the file association has been lost and the fix is as DarrellS suggests. I was assuming MPCHC starts up but is failing to play the MKV file. In which case there is a reader/splitter/codec problem.
    Quote Quote