VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was hoping to get some advice as to what software you guys would recommend to convert about 100 or more movies from my Canon camera to something smaller than the current MJPEG format which is using about 100meg/1min of video.

I'd like to keep the quality still pretty good and at 640x480 so that I can eventually use them for dvds.

I have about 100 or more of these that are stored in a number of different folders, and best case, I'd like to convert them where they sit, overwriting the current MJPEG version, and unleashing some sort of batch mode to go through the folders and subfolders converting all of them as they are found.

Ideally, I'd like something that I can kick off at night and have it keep track of how far it got in case it gets interrupted, so that the software can continue the process where it left off, or close to it.

I am willing to pay for software that will do this as my wife is constantly taking these vids of our son, they are taking up a ton of room, and I don't see her stopping this anytime soon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'd put them do a DVD as data first thing. Good quality blank DVDs are cheap(Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim).
    MJPEG is a "small" format....and 640x480 is a "small" size for video+audio.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm.. I suppose I could go ahead and put them on DVD's to archive them. But, would you leave them as MJPEG to do so? I won't get very many on each disk if I do. Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Of course I would leave them "as is". The quality of the footage will never be better than it is right now
    in it's original state. I've got gigabytes and gigabytes of pics and video of my son. I resize the pics and
    transcode the video to share them with family and friends but I'm sure as hell not going to throw away
    the original afterwards....that's just plain crazy. Storage space is cheap and comes in many forms. I have
    backups of backups of backups.....and none of those backup copies are the resized ones.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see.. I guess that I was just assuming that since the camera had so little processing power, that it would not natively save the video in what would be considered an efficient format. I was hoping that there was a compression format that would provide almost identical quality in a much smaller file size, at the cost of processing power. But, if MJPEG is efficient for the quality it produces, I'll pick up a spindle of Verbatim DVDs and start archiving. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Streaming engineer
    Search Comp PM
    You could convert them to h264 video stream, you will lose bit on a quality but will gain much in compression, you can use ffmpeg to do this.
    Quote Quote