VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. I was thinking of the free ZoneAlarm firewall+free Avast! Antivirus combination. What do you think? Any better choice? Thanks.

2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've been happy with Avast antivirus and Comodo Firewall. Comodo takes a bit of a training period, then it functions mostly in the background. The combination gets along well with each other and has blocked quite a bit of malware.

Search PM
    Avast and Comodo here too.

Search Comp PM
    Avira and Comodo

5. Seems that Comodo Firewall wins so far over my choice. I checked the Comodo website and they don't seem to offer a free standalone Firewall, but rather the Comodo Internet Security (Firewalll+Antivirus). So I guess you disable the Comodo Antivirus to let Avast work trouble free?
    I also like Avira, I use it in my system to do on demand scans only. I don't know if its real time engine works as good as Avast's?

6. Yep, if you want just a firewall disable A/V and HIPS (defense +) during installation. I personally leave HIPS enabled. Be careful with Comodo. They just released a whole new version 4, which is very unstable and buggy right now. I'm sticking with v3 until things are smoothed out a bit.

Search Comp PM
    I'm using Comodo v4, and i have no problems..

Search PM
    Originally Posted by alegator View Post
    I checked the Comodo website and they don't seem to offer a free standalone Firewall,
    Try reading.
    Installation Options:
    During the setup process you will be given the choice to:
    • Install the Antivirus as a standalone
    • Install the Firewall as a standalone
    • Install both Firewall and Antivirus
    http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/free-download.html

9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've never tried the Comodo antivirus as I find Avast works fine for me and seems to be fairly quick and through.

Comodo Firewall has a 'training mode' that lasts for a few days where it will configure itself. Once configured it runs mostly in the background and is fairly unobtrusive.

Search Comp PM
    I updated my Comodo antivirus to the lastest version and it was too much of a hassle, too many false hits. Went back to the older version.

Search Comp PM
    I been using Avira free AV and Zone Alarm free for years. Never had a virus and never been hacked. Put my daughter's and son's laps on that combo also and never had a problem. The only thing that irritates me about Avira now is that there is no way to disable it temporarily, at least what I can find. They just started that and for the life of me I can't figure out why. In this month's Maximum PC magazine, Avira scored in the top three AVs.

Search Comp PM
    I've more or less stopped using AV and firewalls -- I don't do anything stupid.
    All testing is now jailed in a VM.
    No autoruns, no using IE, etc -- nothing stupid.

No point in slowing the computer down with all that TSR stuff.

I am my own AV + firewall.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

13. I use Avast and the Windows firewall(yeah I know) and I never had a problem, I use Chrome to browse because it's faster and more secure than IE. When I really feel paranoid I use my guest account that has limited access.

Search Comp PM
    using comodo and avast here with no issues....i didn't install the antivirus that comes with comodo.

Search Comp PM
    Comodo and Microsoft Security Essentials. MSE works as well as the free offerings from Avira, Avast or AVG, and with a lot less impact on the system. I also have MalwareBytes running and have used secondary scanners to double check the results to make sure it works. It does use Windows Update to get new definitions, so if you are one of the uber paranoid who won't even download updates form MS, then it probably isn't for you.
    Read my blog here.

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by alegator View Post
    I checked the Comodo website and they don't seem to offer a free standalone Firewall,
    Try reading.
    Installation Options:
    During the setup process you will be given the choice to:
    • Install the Antivirus as a standalone
    • Install the Firewall as a standalone
    • Install both Firewall and Antivirus
    http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/free-download.html
    Although this topic is very old, I think it holds good even today. I didn't find the options to install the firewall alone disabling antivirus. Can anyone tell me how to disable antivirus of comodo. I find only the following options during installation:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	COMODO INSTALL.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	37654

17. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This is a SIX year old thread. It would be better to start a new thread. You should check the date of the last post before posting.

Thread closed.

Moderator redwudz