VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This came up on another board as the discs on Best Buy's website are "Life Series" as opposed to DataLifePlus or Value Series. I called Verbatim, and they said that they're the same as DataLifePlus. I believe them, but has anyone here tried them yet?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I saw these for the first time yesterday, a new box was being stocked in Best Buy. I just happened to be in the store looking at a camera. Inspection of the packages reveals nothing. At $18 for a 50-pack on "clearance", it was not a good expenditure of my funds.

UPDATE:
    Better get some Verbatim DataLife/DataLifePlus while it's still available!
    Check out Amazon or Supermediastore or Meritline or Newegg -- they still have the good discs available.

I went ahead and stocked up, just in case.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 1st May 2010 at 03:08.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm... haven't heard of those yet. But I've been using Verbatim's DataLifePlus series for several years and I love them. The single layer DVDs are ONLY made in Taiwan. The +R DL discs are ONLY made in Singapore. If you see any different place of manufacture on these Life Series discs, then I would find the claim that they are "the same as DataLifePlus" to be dubious.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's Taiwan, which doesn't really mean anything -- CMC and Ritek are in Taiwan, too.
    The other DataLife DVD-R were from India on the same shelf, and those are legit MCC discs for sure.

Given the "Value Series" crap, I'm leery of "Life Series", too. Had they been $13, I would have bought some.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, just picked a 100 pack up at officemax today.

I almost missed them because in the ad they show the purple package but when i got there they were the white package Life Series.

Say's made in taiwan.

Disc's shows as CMC MAG M01 in Dvdinfo pro
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Value Series = Life Series = Verbatim giving in to peer pressure and selling inferior discs under it's own label.
    Damn it.

Stuff like this makes disc advice harder and harder to give. Pretty soon we'll need crystal balls.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Value Series = Life Series = Verbatim giving in to peer pressure and selling inferior discs under it's own label.
    Damn it.

Stuff like this makes disc advice harder and harder to give. Pretty soon we'll need crystal balls.
    Yeah, Verbatim selling CMC Mag M01 under their own label is not a good thing.

Unless evidence proves otherwise in the future with the new JVC merger thing, Taiyo Yuden is the best way to go IMO. Just order the "premium line" online at a reputable dealer and you're good to go, no guessing/hoping on the manufacturer (Yuden)or where they're made (Japan).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So Verbatim lied. That's not good. I hope they don't replace Data Life Plus. That would be REALLY bad.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can still get DataLifePlus, but that is the "professional" media utilizing Mitsubishi's AZO dye. It seems the MCC AZO stuff is being removed from retail, in the US at least.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The Ridata disks were cosidered junk by lordsmurf . He was rihgt I was usyng Verbatim diske made in Japan, Tiawan, Inda, UAR an said AZO .All were as good as the other. I have never recieved or saw a CMC or any other make sold under a Verbatim Label. I get my disks fromm Newegg. I would not buy any disk from Office Max, BestBuy, etc
    Quote Quote  
  11. Will this change be affecting these Verbatim discs?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817507005
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817507003

These are the ones that I normally buy....but I'm thinking of stocking up if these discs are going to be changing.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, those are the ones that will be going away.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LCSHG View Post
    I have never recieved or saw a CMC or any other make sold under a Verbatim Label.
    It seems to be a new thing.

I get my disks fromm Newegg. I would not buy any disk from Office Max, BestBuy, etc
    I always have from officemax, it's easy to tell the difference, it's a totally different package with a different name.

I bought them just to check them but i won't be using them for anything very important.

The one's on the left are the ones to stay away from.

The Life Series do not have AZO on the package anywhere either.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Verbatim.JPG
Views:	10794
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1653
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    Yes, those are the ones that will be going away.
    Add you get this information from where ?

Just because they are introducing a new line does not mean the other one will be stopped.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At another forum (I believe it was MyCE), someone mentioned that they spotted Data Life Plus packages with new "Life Series" UPC stickers placed over the UPC on the wrapper. Between that, Verbatim claiming that they're the same, the non-retail discs being clearanced at SuperMediaStore (those discs are never, ever discounted, so why now?), and what lordsmurf has said elsewhere, it looks pretty grim.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Anything is possible but up until now it seems to me as just an assumption.

And as far as someone at "Verbatim" saying they are the same thing, 99.9% of the time the monkeys that answer phones are just that, clueless monkeys.
    Quote Quote  
  17. The local Fry's has cakeboxes of 100 for $15.99 this weekend. Guess there's no reason to try them.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have been burning some games to them to test and a few concert dvd's for a friend so i guess we will see.

But honestly, i wont buy them again.

And if Officemax advertises the purple spindles again and they have the white ones in the store, i will be doing some heavy duty complaining.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Indeed, it's speculation, but based on sound logic:
    1. State of the world economy, and willingness of businesses to cut costs (i.e. TY and China packing) or disappear (i.e, Daxon).
    2. History of this happening to other manufacturers (TDK, Maxell, etc).
    3. Willingness of Verbatim to use CMC discs in 2x and now 16x era.
    4. Confirmation that both the Life Series and Value Series is CMC.
    5. Best Buy and Officemax replentishing Verbatim with Life Series (already confirmed CMC).

I'd rather be safe than sorry -- I want/need good media, and Verbatim is the best. If you want to guarantee yourself some good discs, I highly suggest visiting Amazon or Supermediastore or Meritline or Newegg and buying some now.

If you don't want to believe it, that's fine too. Don't buy any discs. Nobody's forcing you.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well it's not that hard to look at the package and see the difference between the big white container of crap and the big purple container with the big letters AZO sitting on the shelf
    Quote Quote  
  21. I didn’t say All Verbatim disks had AZO on them. Those I had did. As I said lordmurf was right concerning the Ridta disks.
    After some checking I felt that the real issue was QUALITY CONTROL which to many company’s have let get away from them
    I have used a number of disks including CMC . and except for this last issue with Ridata All were fine but have lost trusting them
    At this point I feel that a Verbatim Labeled disk has maintained quality control [I Hope]

---------------------------------------------------------------
    A QUOTE from a Verbatim site, [Concerning DVD disk]
    “Those products are partly produced in Verbatim/Mitsubishi's own plants in Singapore and Japan, and partly under license by Taiwanese and Indian manufacturers.
    Verbatim also resells relabeled products from Japanese, Taiwanese, Mainland Chinese, Malaysian and Indian factories (Pearl White DVD series in Europe, some CD-R not labeled Super Azo), including but not limited to products by Taiyo Yuden, Ritek Corporation, CMC Magnetics, Prodisc, Moser Baer, Daxon/BenQ“.

----------------------------------------------------------

Note that TY and Ritek are mentioned --- Are those made by Ritek {Ridata} quality controlled by Verbatim?--- What About Taiyo Yuden?

Well I hope Verbatim maintains QC and I can trust a spindle of 100 all the way through
    I have some 150-200 Ridata disks For sale cheap plus freight
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are those made by Ritek {Ridata} quality controlled by Verbatim?--- What About Taiyo Yuden?
    No, unlikely. More likely is they just buy, brand and sell, like all others.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LS, any guess what'll happen with Verbatim's +DL discs?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to posts at another board, Office Max's website is out of the Data Life Plus/Azo discs, at least as far as the +Rs go, and is sending Life Series discs out. The website still has the old photos up.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My local store advertised in their flyer the purple packs with the AZO dye a month ago yet in the store they only had the white package Life Series...

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/319565-Verbatim-Life-Series-DataLifePlus?p=1979058&...=1#post1979058

Next time they advertise them and if they show the purple pack and have the white life series, i'm going to be raising hell in the store!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For what it's worth, do the Value Series and Life Series discs have the same printing on the top of the disc that the Data Life Plus/Azo discs had or do they look different?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    For what it's worth, do the Value Series and Life Series discs have the same printing on the top of the disc that the Data Life Plus/Azo discs had or do they look different?
    The discs themselves look identical.

Best,

Calidore
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.

Meanwhile:

- Verbatim's website now has Life Series listed, but Data Life Plus/Azo is there as well. No Value Series on the website.
    - The Google Shopping page for Verbatim retail 16x DVD-R 100 packs is using a photo of a spindle with a blue wrapper that I haven't seen before prominently mentioning "Advanced AZO+"
    Last edited by Bix; 28th May 2010 at 10:39.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aloha All,

Just passing along the word that Amazon has 100 pack Azo DVD-Rs (orange package) for $19.99 with free shipping. 100 pack DVD+Rs are $22.99 with free shipping.

Received my two 100 packs today and yes...they're still the good old AZO discs. Manufacturer of these are UAE, Media code MCC 03GR20. I usually use DVD+Rs, had a few coasters with DVD-Rs a long time ago, but hey...they're Verbatims so I know they'll be fine!
    Quote Quote  
  30. More or less reviving an semi old thread.....
    Can I assume these are good discs? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/585186-REG/Verbatim_96731_BD_R_Blu_ray_DataLife_...s.html#reviews
    I know B&H is OK
    Verbatim BD-R Blu-ray DataLife Plus Inkjet Printable Disc (Spindle Pack of 50) @Price : $ 169.95 + 9 Shipping vs same product @Newegg for $190 + * shipping *
    25GB Write-once Recordable Disc * Over Two Hours of High-Definition Video * Up to 4X Write Speed * White Inkjet Printable Surface Coating * B&H # VEBDRIW4X50 * Mfr # * 96731
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	585186.jpg
Views:	8206
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	3737  

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote