VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. when we record TV shows with closed caption on, the caption information should be in the recorded file, let it be a TS or a MPEG, then when we playback the recorded file, we should either be seeing the caption on the screen or have the control over caption on/off option, am I right?
    does anyone have any experience regarding caption recording?
    my goal is to record the show with closed caption information in the recorded file,
    is there any TV tuner card that can do this?
    if yes, how do we get the closed caption out of the recorded file?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    PLEASE stop cross post. Why 4 similar threads?

I have deleted them now.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The only thing I know that is you can use ccextractor to extract closed captions from mpeg2, ts files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The PVR software, media player software, and TV tuner card used could all play a part in displaying closed captions in your recordings and live TV. All need to support closed captions in order for you to use them. Your TV's closed caption features won't be needed.

I have limited experience with other PVR software, but have used Windows 7's Media Center for a few weeks. I find it works well for watching and recording TV using an antenna, and I can view closed captions in the recordings I make with it, as well as live TV.

My understanding is that any TV tuner card that is compatible with Windows 7 will allow closed captions to be recorded when used with its Media Center. I am not sure if Media Center is responsible, or whether they are simply captured as part of the DTV transport stream. I haven't tried looking at a recording from an analog source to see if closed captions are present, but Media Center is supposed to record them if they are available as well as display them while watching live TV.

Just to be clear, Media Center takes care of recording TV, live TV viewing, and playing the recordings it makes.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Apr 2010 at 09:56. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The old Hauppauge PVR-250 and PVR-350 cards could record CC information off US TV shows with a Windows registry hack that turned it on. The website that talks about the hack is long gone, but I still have the info on a printout I made at the time. I do not know about any other cards and their ability or inability to record CC info.

If you are lucky enough to have a cable box that can use CapDVHS to record via firewire from the cable box directly to your PC, CapDVHS preserves CC information. Some info is here
    http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/

ccextractor is what you use to get the CC text out if you need to do something with it. Whether or not you can see the CC info on playback depends on what you use to play it back and if it supports CC text.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are hardware and OS requirements as well as usage to be considered before making recommendations for tuner cards and PVR software. I should have asked before, but what are kind of CPU, video card, RAM, hard drive capacity and operating system does your computer have? Also what is the TV source that you want to record? (DTV using an antenna, cable/satellite box output, coupon-eligible DTA converter box, analog cable from the wall, digital cable from the wall).

I did confirm that Windows 7's Media Center will record closed captions as well as display them while watching live TV using either the analog or digital tuners on a supported TV tuner card. I can't test what it does with analog recordings made using my tuner card's S-Video connection because that requires an IR Blaster to be installed.

[Edit]I have used CCExtractor to convert closed captioning to subtitles or a text transcript. It works pretty well for Windows 7's Media Center recordings made from my card's digital tuner. I haven't been able to get it to work for Windows 7's Media Center recordings made from my card's analog tuner, although they are definitely being recorded.

As far as displaying the closed captions, I think Media Center's default setting is to show them whenever the sound is muted, but it provides settings to display them all the time, or turn them off. Other PVR software with closed caption support should do about the same. Your TV's closed captioning won't work because none of your PC's video outputs will transmit closed caption data, unlike a recording device or set-top box.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Apr 2010 at 19:39.
    Quote Quote  
  7. thanks for the answers, I would like to try to extract CC myself,
    but also I would like to ask a favor again,
    Can someone record a short TV clip with CC for me?
    doesnt matter it's from an analog coaxial or digital or dish antenna, as long as the CC data is in it.
    and it doesnt matter what recording divice you are using, as long as it's a PC file I can process.
    I would really appreciate the favor.

PS I know in the US people dont usually need CC, that's why not many people have experience with CC
    Quote Quote