VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm an newbie with old-time equipment. I have several issues I'd like help with. The first is simple. What's a good VCR head cleaner that doesn't cost a lot? I'll be using it on my very old, but still running fine Panasonic TV with built-in VCR. I did a search for other posts, but they were all 2+ years old.

Second, I recently hooked up a Magnavox TV with a Converter Box and a Cyberhome VCR/DVD. Videos & DVDs will play, but I cannot record a VHS tape.

Third, I want to view movies on my TV that I get on my PC. Is there a relatively easy and/or cheap way to do this?

Lastly, I am thinking of buying a new TV to use without a converter. Again, gotta be very reasonable. Any recommendations?

Thanks.
    Last edited by SHIKISMOM; 15th Apr 2010 at 06:37. Reason: Add information re: search done at your site
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are serious, use a standalone vcr if at all possible. Most cleaning tapes are meh. Here's a good how-to link.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_5_1/diy6vcrcleaning.html

Never, ever clean the video heads with a vertical motion. Please remember this law.
    Soon you'll be cleaning heads like a wizard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Read this: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/showthread.php/panasonic-ag-1980-2108.html?p=11353#post11353

It covers both "How to Clean VCRs" and "How NOT to Clean VCRs" all in one page.

Those combo VCR+TV units are a pain to work with, good luck.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote