VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dont know if this is the right forum or if importing files is the same as capturing. I also posted other forums. But...

Here is one of many problems I am running into. When I import original video into Adobe Premiere Pro 7.0 it always leaves out a few frames in random spots scattered throughout a clip (I'm guessing this is what is referred to as dropped frames).

I first noticed this when I went to sync the audio mp3 files, which are imported seperatly, to the video clips and found that the audio clips are a few frames longer; and the audio/video don't match up.

I was hoping someone could shine some light onto why this is happening and what can be done to remedy it. I've fiddled around with differnt settings when loading a new project with no success.

I am importing the origina video from a folder on my desktop. It is MPEG-2 format and came from my Sony Handycam DCR SR45 camcorder. Below are the properties for the video according to a video player on my computer.

Video:
    MPEG-2 Video
    720x480 (16:9)
    29.97fps 9100Kbps

Audio:
    Dolby AC3 48000Hz stereo 256Kbps

P.S.
    I've recently been told that MPEG-2 files are not ideal for video editing. I've also been told that Premiere Pro doesn't recognize AC3 audio, which is why I am importing the audio seperatly as mp3 files that I have created in another program. Also I've been told that the camcorder I use is not ideal for editing purposes.

So, if anyone sees any reasons to disagree or concur with these statements, please let me know. But as for right now, I currently have existing video from this camcorder that I MUST make work in Adobe Premiere Pro, so please help me work with what I got. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our editing forum as this is not analog capturing.

Yep, mpeg2 is not ideal for video editing. Maybe you could try convert the mpeg2 to lossless video like huffyuv or dv and see it works better to edit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use VirtualDub with MPEG plugin, convert to lossless HuffYUV or uncompressed AVI.

Easy as that.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 15th Apr 2010 at 00:17.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Adobe Premiere 7 is also known as Premiere Pro 1.0.

It is very old now (2003) and never knew of MP3. Also AC3 wasn't supported for import.

If you want to use an old version of Premiere, you need to prep the files into formats v7 understands.
    Last edited by edDV; 15th Apr 2010 at 02:11.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote