VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 40 inch Full HD Samsung TV in my sitting room and planning to buy Bigger LCD TV or HD Projector to my home theater room.I know LCD TV has no further investments once invested, but Projectors has frequent investment like Changing lamp etc. I am more concern about picture quality and size

Your input will be highly appreciated, especially long time projector user like Mr.Redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  2. How big? LCD's over 55" get very expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    How big? LCD's over 55" get very expensive.
    minimum 55'
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any projector users there? I would like to know the bad and good about projectors I think Mr.Redwudz on vacation
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    edited
    Last edited by live4fun; 15th Apr 2010 at 01:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Projectors need a darkened space and a good reflective screen.

Projector quality varies. you need to do your research.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've used a Sony Bravia projector for a couple of years, no problems at all. You do need a darkened room, but with 'blackout' curtains, you can view it in the daytime. I got those through Walmart. The projector does have a timer that tells you the hours the bulb is used, so you have some warning to get ready for replacement. I still have my original bulb, though I have changed the air filters a couple of times. Bulbs for my projector are about $240US. Bulb life should be around 1000 hours or more. The projector itself was about $1100 new.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony_vpl-aw15.htm This site also has a fair amount of information about the current projectors on the market.

I use a 12 foot video screen at about 22 foot away from the projector. With the surround sound, it all works very well, especially with Blu-ray.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by live4fun View Post
    How big? LCD's over 55" get very expensive.
    minimum 55'
    You mean 55" don't you? 55' is FEET!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by live4fun View Post
    I would like to know the bad and good about projectors
    What level is you knowledge? The basics:
    http://hometheater.about.com/od/hometheaterbasics/u/bybbasics.htm#s1
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by live4fun View Post
    I would like to know the bad and good about projectors
    What level is you knowledge? The basics:
    http://hometheater.about.com/od/hometheaterbasics/u/bybbasics.htm
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have a Sharp projector that is a couple years old. I love it. It's not a light cannon but it can throw a pretty decent picture in a room with a little light. I am projecting 110" onto a wall that isn't even painted white and get a very good picture that wows just about anyone that sees it. I would never pay two or three times more for a LCD TV when there are projectors that do just as well.
    Mark
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You mean 55" don't you? 55' is FEET![/QUOTE]
    Dear old fart13 , try to help the people if possible instead of finding out their typing errors.
    Last edited by live4fun; 16th Apr 2010 at 01:03.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    I've used a Sony Bravia projector for a couple of years, no problems at all. You do need a darkened room, but with 'blackout' curtains, you can view it in the daytime. I got those through Walmart. The projector does have a timer that tells you the hours the bulb is used, so you have some warning to get ready for replacement. I still have my original bulb, though I have changed the air filters a couple of times. Bulbs for my projector are about $240US. Bulb life should be around 1000 hours or more. The projector itself was about $1100 new.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony_vpl-aw15.htm This site also has a fair amount of information about the current projectors on the market.

I use a 12 foot video screen at about 22 foot away from the projector. With the surround sound, it all works very well, especially with Blu-ray.
    Thank you Mr.Redwudz for all your info.
    How's the picture quality compare to LCD/plasma ?
    Last edited by live4fun; 16th Apr 2010 at 01:02.
    Quote Quote  
  14. He's never seen a 12 foot LCD/plasma so there's no direct comparison. If you want a display that large your only choice is front projection. The largest LCDs you can get are about 100" (and they're pretty much impossible to get). What distance will you be viewing from? What's your budget?

Front projectors all suffer from linearity, convergence, focus, and/or vignetting problems to some degree. They must be used in darkened rooms because the black level can only be as black as the ambient lighting. Other quality issues depend on what type of projection is used: LCD, CRT, DLP, etc.

At a particular size I would place flat panel plasma as the best quality, followed by flat panel LCD, with all front projection technologies last. But much depends on what flaws you will accept in your viewing.
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Apr 2010 at 06:52.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If size of image is important, then a projector is a good choice. I find the image clear and bright enough in a darkened room. It's a bit overwhelming at first, but you get used to it. I would say it's not as clear as my LCD 22" monitor that sits three feet away, but with Blu-ray discs it looks great to me.

The projection screen is very important also. There are screens especially for video projectors that maximize the contrast. Don't even consider using a white painted wall. This screen was an economy model, about $200US.

This is my second projector and I would never go back to a large screen TV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scn.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1314

The projector. I used a wall mount monitor stand instead of a ceiling mount. It has a 45' HDMI cable to it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pro2.jpg
Views:	1598
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1315
    Quote Quote  
  16. Click image for larger version

Name:	home theatre_2.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	637.1 KB
ID:	1321Projector all the way!! I have a Mitsubishi HC1500 720p DLP projector with an HDMI cable and a 92" manual screen. I would not trade this for anything.

My projector is about 1600 lumens and is plenty bright. You don't want to go brighter because it will hurt your eyes. Make sure there is enough distance between the seating area and the screen, you don't want to be too close.
    When I first was interested in buying I was looking at a 106" screen but the guy I talked to at Complete IT Presentations talked me into a 92" instead because of location of seating.

I have a grey screen not white. Supposedly you get better blacks. I do agree with previous posts that you need control over lighting.

I think you can pickup 720p projectors fairly cheap now....$900.00 or so. 1080p would be more of course.

You also need to know where you're going to place all your audio and video components.
    We watch HD Cable on it, movies (DVD and BLURAY) and my son has his PS3 hooked up to it. It's KICK ASS!!
    The sound and picture are REALLY incredible.

Now as for the bulb.....I've have the projector for about 2 years and we're at about 2300 hours.
    It's supposed to last around 3000 hours at econo mode which I have it at.
    I would recommend NOT to use the standard mode, although brighter you will drastically reduce the hours in the lamp.
    If you get use to econo mode right off the bat, there's no issues. Supposedly anything over 1500 hours...you're doing good.
    My bulb will eventually cost me about $450.00 CAD when I do replace it.

Below is a dated picture when I was almost done my basement but you can see the idea of my setup.
    Hope this helps you out.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    He's never seen a 12 foot LCD/plasma so there's no direct comparison. If you want a display that large your only choice is front projection. The largest LCDs you can get are about 100" (and they're pretty much impossible to get). What distance will you be viewing from? What's your budget?

Front projectors all suffer from linearity, convergence, focus, and/or vignetting problems to some degree. They must be used in darkened rooms because the black level can only be as black as the ambient lighting. Other quality issues depend on what type of projection is used: LCD, CRT, DLP, etc.

At a particular size I would place flat panel plasma as the best quality, followed by flat panel LCD, with all front projection technologies last. But much depends on what flaws you will accept in your viewing.
    My home theater room is around 20 feet length. my budget is around $ 2000 (little bit + can affordable).
    btw I can go 55" or 65" LCD or Plasma. if i could get any good projector in my budget and if lamp hours will long last 2000 hours I would go for that, because of big screen viewing pleasure I am more concern about picture quality. My present samsung 40" LCD is Excellent for watching HD content.
    Quote Quote  
  18. At 20 feet you're going to want more than 65":
    http://hd.engadget.com/2006/12/09/1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size/
    You'd barely see a difference between SD and HD at 65".
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by slickster View Post
    Projector all the way!! I have a Mitsubishi HC1500 720p DLP projector with an HDMI cable and a 92" manual screen. I would not trade this for anything.................

Thank you Mr.Slickstar for detailed info.

what is the distance you are viewing and how much you spend for your Yamaha home theatre and projector?
    your reply would be highly appreciated.
    Last edited by live4fun; 20th Apr 2010 at 05:29.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I wouldn't consider anything but a 1080p TV with pixel-for-pixel mapping these days.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hey live4fun, at the time my Yamaha receiver was about $500.00 CAD.
    About 8 months ago I upgraded to an Onkyo SR607 for about $800.00 CAD.
    I'm really happy with my new receiver.

Also I'm about 12-13 feet away from the viewing screen to the seating area.

Just a word of caution, in my opinion DO NOT get suckered into buying expensive HDMI cables, and not the cheapest.
    That's where the salesman make their real money.

P.S. Also purchased another sub for my system because the new receiver is 7.2.

WOW!!!!

Ciao
    Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    www.projectorcentral.com;

Panasonic AE4000 LCD projector
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by slickster View Post
    Projector all the way!! I have a Mitsubishi HC1500 720p DLP projector with an HDMI cable and a 92" manual screen.
    Which brand screen you bought it and how much you paid for ?
    I heard LED HD projectors are on the way which doesn't need to change lamps
    And I too got Yamaha home theatre system which is 6.1 channel Giving excellent performance.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I don't remember the brand name but it might be Da-Lite. I believe 4 years ago it was around $300-$400 CAD.
    I'm sorry I don't know anything about LED HD projectors.
    If you decide to purchase make sure it's a half decent screen. Don't go crazy on spending $1500.00 on an electric screen.
    That money can be used for other equipment that is necessary, electric screen you can buy down the road when cash flow is better.
    Do lots of research and ask lots of questions BEFORE you buy.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is hope for all Projector fans . LED projectors are on the way
    http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10429545-269.html

And some of the protable LED Projectors alredy existing in china and taiwan market
    http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/jcphoto/product-detailsqOQgcrJgGpK/China-Portabl...Projector.html

http://foreverplus.en.ecplaza.net/
    Quote Quote  
  26. If the high power LED stop lights I see around here are anything to go by, I would take the claim "eliminates the need to replace a lamp" with a grain of salt.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The technology is still in its infancy but Casio is changing their pj lines to hybrid led / laser lit projectors. Rated at 20,000 hours with brightness in the 2000 - 3500 lumen depending on the model.

Here's the xga 2500 lumen XJ-A140 model at BB Canada at $800

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/casio-casio-green-slim-projector-xj-a140-xj-a140/1...6281b524c2en02

Casio makes HD models too. So far, all are rated at 20,000 hours. I could see that improving. With their smaller form factor and quieter fan 35 db or less depending on mode,To me this is the future.

Here's the Casio site:

http://www.casio.com/products/Projectors/Green_Slim_Projectors/
    Last edited by gll99; 30th Apr 2010 at 01:42.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Samsung 55'' is a good choice.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by joytimeday View Post
    Samsung 55'' is a good choice.
    At 20 feet that's way too small. He'd barely be able to tell the difference between SD and HD.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i suggest you go for LCD
    Quote Quote