VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, (the title should read 3 questions, not 2)

1. I haven't bought a Blu-ray player yet and I'm only interested in playing US and Japanese discs. From what I understand, Japanese and US discs are both Region A meaning
    with just one US Blu-Ray disc player I will be able to play US and Japanese blu-ray discs??

2. If the above is true, can I play Japanese DVD discs (region 2) on a US blu-ray player?

3. Since I still have DVD discs, i'm wondering what these discs are going to look like on a blue-ray player. Are they going to look worse than when played on a non-blu ray dvd player on a non-HDTV?

thanks
    Last edited by uglijimus; 14th Apr 2010 at 09:26. Reason: forgot to change the title
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1) yes
    2) no *1
    3) they shouldn't look any different, especially on a non-HDTV. But that questions the reason for even getting a Blu-Ray player if you don't have an HDTV.

*1 - I could be mistaken, but I didn't think BD regions were being enforced, but that may have changed.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you are correct. I tried it out, and Japanese DVDs will NOT play on an American Blu-Ray player.

thanks for the response though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can backup your Japanese DVD's to remove RCE or buy a Philips DVD player that can be made region free.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm...if you are in Detroit, you can take a day trip to Windsor in Canada, go to any Zellers store and buy a Curtis DVD1102 Blu Ray player. That will play SD and Blu Ray discs from anywhere with just a few clicks on the remote control. If you are elsewhere in the state, maybe you can still get a Curtis Mathes or Sherwood player that will do the same thing. Good luck!
    Quote Quote