VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an old Sony CCD-FX420 which only shows snow/scambled images when trying to play back tapes (originally recorded on it). I'm looking for a solution to transfer these old 8mm tapes to DV or at least to a DVD recorder. I've read that videos recorded in LP mode would be problematic for any Digital8 camcorders to play back. The description for the Sony GV-D200 Digital8 Video Walkman VCR says that it will play back 8mm either in SP or LP, but I haven't read any accounts of someone actually successfully playing back LP videos. Does anyone know for certain any Sony camcorder or VCR which will play back 8mm LP videos?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it says LP, it should play it. Whether it's worth buying is another question. How many tapes do you have in LP? If it not too many, it may be best to drop them off at a lab to transfer to DVD. How people get mixed up about LP I still don't understand.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How many videos do you have? I have one of the nicer Hi8 cams for most 8mm transfers, but it's not a cheap unit, and it's not easy to find. Whether you need your own cam/VTR, or whether you should pay an 8mm to DVD transfer service, depends on budget. I can help out either way.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote