VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I hate to say it but I think I may have painted myself into a corner figuratively.

I got a black Magic Intensity Pro Card to capture video, so that the video can then be turn into a dvd. The problem is that I need to capture directly to mpeg2 so that I don't have to trans code everything before sending it off to the dvd making software, in this instance speed really is important.

So I have been beating my head against the wall for the last 4 hours trying to figure out how to capture to mpeg2 with this card, nothing seems to work. Certainly the video coming in looks great, but I can only capture in AVI, MJPEG, and DPX. Each of these formats will have to trans coded to work, taking allot of time.

Does anyone know how I can record directly to MPEG2 with this card? I am about ready to return this thing, which is really a shame since the capture on it is so nice, even at standard def.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've never heard of anyone being able to capture directly to MPEG 2 with the Intensity Pro.
    Quote Quote  
  3. That would be a shame, I can't beleive a 100 dollar capture is unable to do something a cheap usb dongle can do. Seems like a design oversight.

Anyone have any advice how to get an hour and a half long video encoded to dvd in less than 15 minutes? This is extremely frustrating.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CaptRR View Post
    That would be a shame, I can't beleive a 100 dollar capture is unable to do something a cheap usb dongle can do. Seems like a design oversight.
    Seems more like you failed to do your homework, and purchased the wrong tool for your needs.

Anyone have any advice how to get an hour and a half long video encoded to dvd in less than 15 minutes? This is extremely frustrating.
    Change the laws of physics? Build a time-dilation device? Pray?
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by MJPollard View Post
    Seems more like you failed to do your homework, and purchased the wrong tool for your needs.
    Thats the kicker, I did do weeks of homework, and read several times that this card is indeed an mpeg capture card. Of course, mpeg must mean mpeg 4, go figure.

Change the laws of physics? Build a time-dilation device? Pray?[/QUOTE]

As tempting as the time-dilation device is, I don't think I need to bend space time to do this . The creation of the dvd from an mpeg 2 only takes 3 minutes. At this point I just need a good quality mpeg 2 capture card. I thought the intensity pro did this, I guess I was wrong, any idea on a card that does? I do have a little startech dongle that does this, but the quality is pretty bad.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just about every PVR capture devcie has hardware or realtime software MPEG2 compression. ATI 650 based devices are pretty well respected. Hauppauge's devices used to be pretty good but since the PVR-250/350 days they're software has gone way downhill.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815306020&Tpk=diamond%20ati%20650
    http://www.frys.com/product/6124759;jsessionid=zMGOVvge-mTDCCNHYBwzBg**.node2?site=sr:...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
    http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-HD-650-Combo-USB/dp/B0037A3MVE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=elect...0995915&sr=8-4
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJPollard View Post
    Thats the kicker, I did do weeks of homework, and read several times that this card is indeed an mpeg capture card. Of course, mpeg must mean mpeg 4, go figure.
    The Intensity pro is intended for uncompressed YCbCr (HDMI) or YPbPr (analog component) capture or to software codecs for MJPEG, Cineform, etc.

It has no hardware encoding at all. It outputs an uncompressed stream. This is clear from the features and specs sheets. It is designed as a capture device for editors.

It may be possible to configure a real time software encoder like the Mainconcept Reference. This would place all the load on your CPU. http://www.mainconcept.com/products.html

There are plenty of capture cards with built in standard definition DVD MPeg2 hardware encoders like the Hauppauge PVR-350. If you want to swap your Intensity Pro for my PVR-350 I'd be willing.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Originally Posted by MJPollard View Post
    The Intensity pro is intended for uncompressed YCbCr (HDMI) or YPbPr (analog component) capture or to software codecs for MJPEG, Cineform, etc.

It has no hardware encoding at all. It outputs an uncompressed stream. This is clear from the features and specs sheets. It is designed as a capture device for editors.

It may be possible to configure a real time software encoder like the Mainconcept Reference. This would place all the load on your CPU. http://www.mainconcept.com/products.html

There are plenty of capture cards with built in standard definition DVD MPeg2 hardware encoders like the Hauppauge PVR-350. If you want to swap your Intensity Pro for my PVR-350 I'd be willing.

Doh, didn't know that, live and learn I guess. Oh well, I can still return the intensity pro, or maybe even use it in the video switcher some day.

I would like to grab very good quality video, s-video would work, but I was hoping to grab the DVI or maybe component out, one of the main reasons I went with the intensity pro, and of course I may want to move into high def some day.

I was looking at the Hauppage site, would the HD PVR capture to mpeg 2? If not which card their would work, since this is going to dvd, I really do want good quality.

Edit: Just looked at the HD PVR, looks like nothing mentioned about mpeg2 encoding. Looks like I am running out of ideas.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The Hauppauge HD PVR only captures as h.264 video with AAC or AC3 audio. It can capture SD from composite, s-video, or component; HD (720p and 1080i) from component. It doesn't pay any attention to the CGMS-A copy restriction flag in the analog signal.

Another possibility is the AverMedia AVerTV CaptureHD:
    http://www.avermedia.com/avertv/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=499

Keep in mind that the Intensity and the CaptureHD will not record HDCP protected HDMI sources. Just about every HDMI device you might want to capture from (cable boxes, satellite boxes, etc) will be HDCP protected.

For SD hardware MPEG 2 get an ATI 650 based card like the ones I linked to earlier.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I am going to have to check out a 650 card like you said. I am just a little bit worried, I have been burn by bad quality capture dongles and some oder mpeg capture cards (an old pvr-250 and a startech usb capture dongle) before, so I am leary of low cost cards now. The intensity is about the only one where I found the quality was acceptable over standard def s video input.

Thanks for everyones help, I am going to try to go the 650 route it looks like.

Robert
    Quote Quote  
  11. That Capture HD cards looks very tempting to me however. Does it do hardware mpeg2 capture on an svideo input? If so how is the quality?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I think the Capture HD uses a software MPEG2 encoder. What was your problem with the Hauppauge PVR-250? It was one of the best hardware MPEG2 encoders of its time.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks for the replay jagabo, and thanks for the info about the Capture HD, its really helped out allot.

To answer your question, the capture quality never seemed all that good. Now to be fair, I may have been using composite, not svideo like I am now, its been so long ago I can't remember of the top of my head. Since I am making dvd's I am trying to get as close to dvd resolution as I can.

Part of the reason I chose the intinsity pro, was that I could input a digital hdmi signal from my switching computer, and down convert it on the encoding computer. That plan has now fallen through with the intensity pro not being able encode mpeg2 on the fly. So its nothing against hauppage, more of just a bad personal experience with one card which could have been my fault.

As I said, I am making dvd's and am trying to do everything I can not to lose resolution through all these analog pathways. If you say the 650 is the best resolution I am going to get, or some other hauppage card is, then I will take your advise on this, god knows I haven't been picking the right cards lately myself.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm pretty sure people have been able to record from the Intensity Pro with VirtualDub. If that's the case other software should be able to also. That would include packages like Ulead VideoStudio and Pinnacle Studio that can encode to MPEG 2 in realtime.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Well I went ahead and got a Hauppage card. Using wintv it records an mpeg2 .ts file.

I would of course like to get this file into a dvd compliant mpeg file. I was under the impression that a .ts mpeg file can be converted to a standard mpeg fairly easily, and the wintv software does appear to do this. Now the problem is that it seems, that this mpeg file is not dvd compliant, though I really can't figure out why.

Here is the media info dump on the file.

General
    ID : 0
    Complete name : E:\TempVideo\S-Video_20100417_1603.ts
    Format : MPEG-TS
    File size : 2.02 GiB
    Duration : 51mn 30s
    Overall bit rate : 5 608 Kbps

Video
    ID : 1001 (0x3E9)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : No
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Format_Settings_GOP : M=1, N=15
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 4 834 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 5 000 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Resolution : 8 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.467
    Stream size : 1.74 GiB (86%)

Audio
    ID : 1002 (0x3EA)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 384 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Video delay : -343ms
    Stream size : 141 MiB (7%)

Currently I am using vegas to re-encode the file to a standard mpeg, this is time consumeing, but much faster than reencoding the raw file from the black magic, and the quality has been really good.

What I am trying to do is skip the re-encoding stage, perhaps with a converter that can make the file dvd compliant without having to go through and re-encode the entire file again.

Thanks for everyone's help, its really helped out allot on this project.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Which Hauppuage capture device did you get?

The MPEG 2 video is already DVD compliant. All you need to do is remux it into an VOB container. That should only take a minute or two for DVD length videos. The audio needs to be converted to PCM or AC3 to be fully compatible with NTSC DVD. But many players will play MP2 audio too.

If you're lucky, and you don't care about menus and such, your DVD player might even play the files as-is when burned to a data disc.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I got the WinTV-HVR 2250. Video quality has turned out to be much better than I thought it was going to be.

Anyways, I am selling these dvd's for the parents (have to pay the camera person), so they pretty much have to be a standard dvd's. I don't care much for menus at this stage perhaps some day in the future, but not right now.

I would like to use tools that can be run from the windows command line since it would enable me to automate this entire process, but I understand if that's not possible. I guess I am trying to figure out how to get this .ts file (that wintv says it can convert to an .mpg file) to a standard dvd format without having to re-encode like I do now, so that the parent can stick it in the dvd player and have it just play.
    Last edited by CaptRR; 26th Apr 2010 at 00:57.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I am trying to figure out how to get this .ts file (that wintv says it can convert to an .mpg file) to a standard dvd format without having to re-encode like I do now, so that the parent can stick it in the dvd player and have it just play.
    You need tsMuxeR (free) to extract video and audio stream from ts container and a Muxman (free multiplexer\authoring toll, but without menu) to create DVD Video files.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I tried to demux the .ts file using tsmuxer, but the video (.mpv) file it spits out, cannot be loaded by muxman for some reason. The audio seems to have no problems though.

Soooo close to getting this thing figure out.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Try Mpeg2Cut2. It can save directly in an MPG container. Or demux to elementary streams.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I can't even figure out Mpeg2Cut2, I will still try to hammer at it, and figure it out. Also I tried to run the demuxed files .mpv and .mpa in dvdauthor and it kicked back the error that it didn't recognize the mpv file. I can play the .mpv file back in VLC with no problems, and the video looks fine, no audio obviously since I demuxed them.

Here is the media info dump on the .mpv file:

Complete name : E:\TempVideo\Test\S-Video_20100412_1500.track_224.mpv
    File size : 202 MiB
    Duration : 5mn 38s
    Overall bit rate : 5 006 Kbps

Video
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : No
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Format_Settings_GOP : M=1, N=15
    Duration : 5mn 38s
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 4 801 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 5 000 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Resolution : 8 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.464
    Stream size : 193 MiB (96%)
    Quote Quote  
  22. If all you want to do is remux your TS file to MPG just use File -> Open, then File -> Save This Clip.
    Quote Quote  
  23. thanks, jagabo, but the final product I am trying to get to is a standard dvd from the .ts file that wintv creates when it captures. Hopefully without having to reencode along the way (which takes a long time)

Anyways more experimentation has provided some interesting results. I converted the .ts file to a standard mpeg, and low and behold using ffmpeg, and and the tsmuxer and muxman combo worked great. So their appears to be something funky about the .ts file that wintv creates. At this point I don't think their is anything I can do about it. I hate having to re-encode the file before authoring, but I really don't see any choice in the matter.
    Last edited by CaptRR; 26th Apr 2010 at 12:39.
    Quote Quote  
  24. mpg2cut2 doesn't reencode. It will simply remux from a TS container to an MPG container (and give you I-frame-only cut editing ability). Many programs can't handle transport stream files. Once you have an MPG file many more tools will work.
    Quote Quote