VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I just recently bought a Sony PD170P (PAL version) and noticed during the DV capture process (from firewire) that my DV image has some lighter horizontal pixels (2 at the top and 1 at the bottom).
    See this picture:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dv%20capture.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1266
    Is this normal, or is something wrong with the camera?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    why does the screenshot show as 768x576? if it's a DVavi capture it should be 720x576.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    why does the screenshot show as 768x576? if it's a DVavi capture it should be 720x576.
    I don't know, it I copied this image from Adobe Premiere and did not alter its dimensions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    make sure your pp project is set for dv pal 720x576. you could also try capturing a test video off the cam with winDV and see if it makes a difference.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just tested with WinDV, but no improvement.
    I just converted the output from WinDV to mp4, so you can see for yourself:
    http://vm01.valuedvision.nl/public/windv.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's not unusual for camcorders to have problems like that at the edge of the frame.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the windv sample is at least the right size. i'm really picky about my electronics and if that cam were mine i'd be returning it. it is an older model so i don't know if you bought it used, but no canon, sony or jvc DV cam i've ever used exhibited any problem at the top or bottom. analog tape yes, but not digital.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It's not unusual for camcorders to have problems like that at the edge of the frame.
    Well, I was looking for some PD170 (test) footage on the internet, and I indeed came across some movies which had exactly the same issues, like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA0KxSvMvb4

How is this possible and should this be repaired?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maybe there was a quality control problem with the sensors. most pd170 vids on youtube had no problems top or bottom, but a couple looked like they were shot with your cam.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  10. I just found out that when I put on the Progressive Mode on the camera, the top 4(!) pixels aren't shown at all!
    See this screenshot:
    http://vm01.valuedvision.nl/public/dvcapture-progressive%20mode.jpg

What could this be?
    Last edited by dplus; 11th Apr 2010 at 13:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    did you right click on the source in vegas and changed the properties to progressive so vegas knows what it is? it shouldn't happen. DVavi 25p is the same size as 50i.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It's not unusual for camcorders to have problems like that at the edge of the frame.
    +1

I don't know where aedipuss is coming from - historically, even digital cameras didn't care about the edges of the frame because no one would ever see it on a normal TV, and that was the target back then.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    +1

I don't know where aedipuss is coming from - historically, even digital cameras didn't care about the edges of the frame because no one would ever see it on a normal TV, and that was the target back then.

Cheers,
    David.

you asked. i've owned and operated a video production company for years, including a DV tape to DVD division. i think i've seen more tape then most folks.....

and i'd still say it's a defective cam sensor. i certainly wouldn't allow it to be used on any shoot of mine, especially since it's completely missing the top 4 lines(2 odd and 2 even) in progressive segmented format.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you ever looked at broadcast digital SD TV?

Unless it's sourced from HD, you're lucky if it has clean video to the edges of the broadcast.

This is in the UK. YMMV.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    +1

Cheers,
    David.
    It 's seemed historically, that some people cares...!
    I want to shell my NEW camera (with edges) in a GOOD price.
    PM me for a deal.
    (I'm coming from greece)
    Quote Quote