VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've been trying to convert a high definition (H264 with DTS) film so that I can watch it on my standalone DVD, but it keeps causing a Visual C++ Runtime error at 99% of the first pass.

My first two attempts were to convert it to DVD compliant video using HC (demux with mkvtoolnix, index with DGAVCDec, then frameserve with Avisynth). I tried an older version of HC first, then upgraded to the latest one, but both crash at the same point.

I then tried to convert it to xvid using xvid_encraw and it too crashed at 99% with the same Visual C++ runtime error. I've tried reinstalling the Visual C++ runtime library and looking for any updates but it still crashes.

Anyone got any ideas, or is it likely that the source is corrupt?

Slainte

midders
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try AVStoDVD as a front-end for HCEnc and see if it helps.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the response, but I am confused as to how that might help. I'm using a standard hc_ini file which has worked for every file I've thrown at it so far.

I've just tried AVIDemux with this file and, apart from taking 10 minutes to open the file (need a new PC!) it crashed when I was trying to cut the last 1-2% off the film.

As a stop-gap measure, I noticed that xvid_encraw doesn't clean up incomplete files when it crashes, so I've started a second pass run using the incomplete stats file. Will let you know how it turns out it 6 or 7 hours!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I chucked the incomplete results of the second pass into VirtualDubMod to mux the audio in and it rebuilt the index for me and produced a perfectly watchable output; from the odd glitch in the film now and then, I think it must be the source file that was causing the problems . Would be nice if the Visual C library was a bit more resilient, though!

Slainte

midders
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @guns1inger,

Ok as you know I use AVStoDVD to do MKV to elementary streams.
    I select my MKV in the program and it says me to lose 1 of the 2 sound streams and 1 of the 2 subs.
    No problem, I keep the DTS and no subs.

However when I then start it (to elementary streams M2V and DTS) then HC encoder starts up.
    And where this always went ok now it freezes on me!

I recently updated my windows 7 codes and x64 codecs with Shark007 codecs.
    Is this what is hurting AVStoDVD???

I would think not because other progs like DVD Rebuilder and multiAVCHD work just fine with HC encoder.

Anybody familiar with the freezing of AVStoDVD??
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quite probably. The only good codec pack is the one you don't install. The author of AVStoDVD recommends only FFDShow.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by RickyPinxt View Post
    Take a look at 'Help'/'FAQ'/'General'/Q1.5 section from AVStoDVD Help

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _MrC_ View Post
    Originally Posted by RickyPinxt View Post
    Take a look at 'Help'/'FAQ'/'General'/Q1.5 section from AVStoDVD Help

Bye
    Hmm well thank you I found what you are refering to.
    I threw out all my codecs from Shark007.
    Re-installed ffdshow x64

Then used that tool you refer to. The tweaker.
    Set all to ffdshow instead of Microsoft.

BUT STILL when loading AVStoDVD with my MKV file i press start (want the elementary streams) it jumps to HC Encoder.
    And bammm....freezing again. HC Encoder just will not start.

So sorry pal but I think your program is not working with Windows 7 x64
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by RickyPinxt View Post
    Be careful to get quick conclusions... are there any users who have W7 64bit and AVStoDVD works?

Have you installed Haali Media Splitter (it comes with AVStoDVD installer package)?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Be careful to get quick conclusions... are there any users who have W7 64bit and AVStoDVD works?

Have you installed Haali Media Splitter (it comes with AVStoDVD installer package)?

Bye
    yes yes I all have that. In fact I have tons of stuff on my system with all the codecs, splitters, encoders, decoders bla bla bla....
    It's frustrating, having all and still it is not working.
    But will do some cleaning on all this garbage. And if the program then still refuses to work (like he now stops working on the mpg2 encoding) then I will try my luck with other programs.

Anyways, thanks for the tips...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MrC pointed out to me in another thread that sometimes when FFmpegsource is used,
    there can be a delay of as much as a minute or two before the encoding starts.
    Apparently, FFmpegsource (or a2dsource if it's using FFmpegsource under the covers)
    needs some time to fully index the source.

Eventually the encoding will start.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    MrC pointed out to me in another thread that sometimes when FFmpegsource is used,
    there can be a delay of as much as a minute or two before the encoding starts.
    Apparently, FFmpegsource (or a2dsource if it's using FFmpegsource under the covers)
    needs some time to fully index the source.

Eventually the encoding will start.
    Hmmm well.....it takes more then 2 minutes. But next time I will give it longer allthough 1 times after some minutes just everything froze....

Pulled the MKV now thru multiAVCHD and there was not 1 single problem.
    I guess that program also has to encode the MKV to mpg first to make the Vob's??

Could still be claching codecs in my system, but if I can not get AVStoDVD to work then I will be using multiAVCHD
    (although I like the fact that AVStoDVD directly can give you a M2V and a sound file)
    Quote Quote  
  13. @RickyPinxt

davexnet could have hit the point: FFMpegSource takes some time to create the index. Anyway, it is strange that FFMpegSource is used because it is the last resource. Before DirectShowSource is used and, if haali and ffdshow are correctly installed, DirectShowSource works with matroska. There's something wrong with the mkv or with the codecs chain.

I would like to replicate your erros: could you send me a small portion of your mkv file or tell me the link where I can download it (assuming it is not illegal stuff)?

Bye
    Last edited by _MrC_; 16th Apr 2010 at 06:48.
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well I have Haali and I have FFdshow (x64 version for my WIndows 7 x64).
    So are there any settings somewhere that I have to adjust so that it first goes to Haali?

And how can I give you a piece of my MKV?
    And where to sent it?

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    If multiAVCHD "works in your PC", then AVStoDVD should work, too.

I would turn the DTS into AC-3.
    I would mux the mkv with the AC-3, and then i would use AVStoDVD.

Hope it helps!
    (You can mux-demux, get a sample with mkvtoolnix)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by RickyPinxt View Post
    well I have Haali and I have FFdshow (x64 version for my WIndows 7 x64).
    So are there any settings somewhere that I have to adjust so that it first goes to Haali?
    Quick try: before adding your mkv, go to 'Preferences'/'Encoding' and select 'DirectShowSource' instead of 'A2DSource' as AVS Source Filter. Start your project and let me know if HCenc still hangs.

And how can I give you a piece of my MKV?
    And where to sent it?
    You can upload it on mediafire.com

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @_MRC_,

Ok new insights!
    Thanks for the tip with directshow. I will switch that next project.
    However I have news. Tried a new projeckt. A 14,7 GB big MKV with 2 soundtracks.
    Before I went to bed I switched on AVStoDVD with settings of getting the elementary streams. The DTS and the M2V.
    Again HC would kick not in immediately so I went to bed.
    In the morning however the projekt was finished! I took over 6 hours but I had now the M2V and the DTS stream.
    However.....The DTS streams is big so not much room for the movie stream.
    So I decide to do it once more and now not take the DTS but the AC3 audio stream.
    But.....it chrashed EVERY try. So then I decided to do only the movie and this was no problem!

So I think what is causing the problem is the AC3, does this make sense?

Anyway I will try next project with directshowsource and see if this goes better.
    Would already be nice if HC encoder kicks in immediately and not after a long time.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by RickyPinxt View Post
    It could be if you do not have a good directshow codec (like ffdshow) for reading DTS tracks.

Let me know how the try with DSS goes.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It could be if you do not have a good directshow codec (like ffdshow) for reading DTS tracks.

Let me know how the try with DSS goes.

Bye
    Ok _MrC_,

I now tried to select DSS instead of A2DSource.
    But when I then push start and he goes to HC enc. I get error messages in the information bar!!
    It says something about acces violation, so it can not access something.
    But I DO HAVE a directshow codec (ffdshow)
    I have ffdshow x64 especially for my windows 7 x64 system.

So what can be the problem here?

Now using A2DSource again which works but it takes forever fot HC enc to kick in.....
    Last edited by RickyPinxt; 19th Apr 2010 at 14:39.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I would suggest you to uninstall ffdshow and reinstall it (being careful to use only stable releases, they are called "beta"). Have a look at Video Decoder Configuration to check if H264/AVC is on, and at Audio Decoder Configuration to check if DTS is on.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would suggest you to uninstall ffdshow and reinstall it (being careful to use only stable releases, they are called "beta"). Have a look at Video Decoder Configuration to check if H264/AVC is on, and at Audio Decoder Configuration to check if DTS is on.
    Well I have ffdshow for 64 bit system. Does that matter?

And H264/AVC is on libavcodec
    DTS is on libdts
    and AC3 is on liba52

So none of these are disabled.

Did you ever used (tested) AVStoDVD with a ffdshow for 64 bit systems?
    Quote Quote  
  22. No, I have a system with XP and another with Vista 32bit. BTW, your problem, if OS related, could be more addressed to the system itself. From the AVStoDVD FAQ:
    Windows 7 uses its own DirectShow filters for decoding several audio and video formats. This can potentially lead to unexpected decoding errors because Windows 7 filters are not as good as ffdshow. Take a look (then download and use) to Windows7 Preferred Filter Tweaker and select ffdshow for all (available) video and audio filters.
    In other words, you have everything istalled, but W7 may continue to refuse to use ffdshow.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, I have a system with XP and another with Vista 32bit. BTW, your problem, if OS related, could be more addressed to the system itself. From the AVStoDVD FAQ:
    Windows 7 uses its own DirectShow filters for decoding several audio and video formats. This can potentially lead to unexpected decoding errors because Windows 7 filters are not as good as ffdshow. Take a look (then download and use) to Windows7 Preferred Filter Tweaker and select ffdshow for all (available) video and audio filters.
    In other words, you have everything istalled, but W7 may continue to refuse to use ffdshow.
    Yes and I even have this preferred filter tweaker installed.
    On the first page I have everything (all video en audio) set to use ffdshow.
    But x264 has also an option ffdshow(DXVA), is that better??

And what to select on the other pages of this tweaker?
    On the second one I have for x64 selected everything
    and on the third and last page I have selected nothing.
    Is this ok?
    Quote Quote