VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am trying to extract the video & audio streams from a set of VOBs on my hard-drive, to a single file. I originally tried DVD Decryptor, and while it worked, it produced a .M2V file for each VOB, I wanted a single file.

Then I tried the TMPGEnc Author Works tool, basically creating a new project, provided it the VIDEO_TS directory, it let me pick the video and audio stream with check-boxes, then I told it to output the files to the hard-drive. That worked well. The problem is the file it has output. The file was named:

"DVD-8B1750F9C38963BB11C9A5396464E4D4D87556C0-0000.dvddata"

...and is 4.22GB. At first I wondered how to play it, so I decided to rename it to .MPEG. That worked, video and audio being played in WMP fine, but WMP only "sees" approximately 4 minutes of the video and stops. In other words the tracking slider on WMP, once at the end, is at about 4 minutes.

If I rename the file to .M2V, which I though was a file extension only for video streams, the video and audio play fine, the full 2 hours of the movie. Why does this work? Or more to the point, why does renaming the file to .MPEG not work? I cannot work it out.

Also, I think MediaInfo has a bug, it shows this video as 23.976 FPS, but both TMPGEnc and right clicking the original VOB in Windows Explorer and going to the details show 29 FPS.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. In DVD Decrypter you can set file splitting to 'none' and get one big file for both the audio and video. Go Tools->Settings->IFO Mode->Options->File Splitting->None. Then go into Streams Processing and set it up to demux the M2V and AC3. Or, with the DVD already on the hard drive open all the VOBs in DGIndex and go File->Save Project and Demux Video. That will give you a big M2V and any audio streams in the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Excellent, thanks for the help. I should have dug deeper into the settings for DVD Decrypter, as it now produces the file(s) I want. Quick question, does an M2V file just contain video, or is it capable of containing audio as well? I'm aware MPEG is a container format, just as AVI and MKV are, for video and audio streams, but I know little of .M2V. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. An M2V is an elementary stream, meaning video only.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VOB2MPG will give you an mpg file for each title in a VOBset
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote