VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please some experts help me.
    The filetypes I always download are .AVI & .SRT. Then I edit the .SRT files using SUBMAGIC.
    It works fine when it plays on my laptop or PC (font size is big enough).
    But when I copy those .AVI & .SRT to a flashdisk and chip the flashdisk onto my standalone DVDPlayer (I want to see the movie better on Television Screen)...well the font size look small compared with Screen size.
    I tried many times to edit the font size using SUBMAGIC but it just won't work when I play the move on my DVD Player.
    Could someone give some clues what I should do? Which software is the best for editing .SRT?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The .srt subtitle format doesn't normally allow for formatting (font styles, sizes), so the size of the font when you're playing it on your DVD player is completely up to the DVD player. Check the player's settings to see if it has any options for changing the font size/style. If there aren't, there isn't much else you can do, except perhaps generate a hard-subbed version of the video with larger subs.

There's an unofficial version of .srt that does support formatting (using HTML code, I believe), but it's highly likely your player doesn't support that version.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I suggest you use free software DVDFlick to convert your AVI to DVD, then burn to a reburnable disk so you can erase it when you are finished with the movie. See screenshot. Click (in DVDFlick) "Auto Fit" to make subtitles BIG.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	1552
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1241  

Last edited by jimdagys; 8th Apr 2010 at 06:57.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your Standalone player supports "DivX Ultra" then you can add the subs using AVIADDXsubs, you can control the font size that way. As a bonus you can also add chapters too.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay. I'm gonna try all your suggestions one by one, and see which one is suitable for my player. Thanks a lot guys
    Quote Quote  
  6. +1 AviAddXSubs. Even before Ultra support many divx capable stand-alones would do subs as added by AviAddXSubs. Esp. on Philips players the AviAddXSubs look much better than using external .srt files.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote