VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I converted some video files into avi format and burned them onto a 8X DVD (generic brand). The video file is over 2 hrs long, but once in the DVD player, only 40 minutes of it is recognized. I first thought it might be the DVD player or the software, but I put in a 16X DVD (imation brand) and the player seems to play anything or any time length fine. This leads to be believe it has to do with the 8X blank DVDs.

Does anyone have any insights into the issue?

Software used to burn: Nero
    DVD player: Curtis
    blank DVD: 8X generic brand

Thanks,

Eric
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	video-info.JPG
Views:	1068
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1206  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most players don't like files that run over 2GB in size. Some will refuse to load them, but some will start to play them, and stop part way. This could be the issue in this case.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Most players don't like files that run over 2GB in size. Some will refuse to load them, but some will start to play them, and stop part way. This could be the issue in this case.
    Thanks for your reply! This particular file is over 2 Gig, but the same thing happens to smaller files as well. So I don't think file size is the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Some players have a 1 GB limitation. It's doubtfull the disc is the issue. But you shouldn't be using anything but Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden if you care about your videos. There could also be a problem with that particular file. One that chokes your player but no others.
    Last edited by jagabo; 6th Apr 2010 at 21:32.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Some players have a 1 GB limitation. It's doubtfull the disc is the issue. But you shouldn't be using anything but Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden if you care about your videos. There could also be a problem with that particular file. One that chokes your player but no others.
    It seems that both of you are correct. My DVD player seems to have a 1 GB file size limit. Two more questions:

1. What part of the manual would give you this info?
    2. When I go buy a DVD player, how do I find out what file size limit it has?

Best regards!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I would make a test disk/USB memory stick with a 1.8GB avi file and try in the store. A lot of players won't accept more than a 2GB file. That's OK for me because I can cram a lot of video in a 1.8GB file. I use Fair Use Wizard to convert DVD into AVI and you can easily set the file size.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bummer ... I use the older Phillips DVD / Divx player .... bought around 2007 ... and it plays Divx videos just fine. It is 4:41AM and my wife is asleep in the bedroom or I would go in there and check the model number.

I recorded ... 24 ... that came on Fox ... Monday night with MCE 2005 in HD and reconverted it with Divx Author 1.5 to an AVI with custom settings ... and the size I chose was 1.2 Gigs. I took all the commercials out ... it was a special 2 HR show ... and without commercials it was ... 1 HR and 23 minutes.

General
    Complete name : O:\Divx Author Output Folder - April 2010\24_KMPHDT_05_04_2010.avi
    Format : DivX
    Format/Info : Hack of AVI
    File size : 1.17 GiB
    Duration : 1h 23mn
    Overall bit rate : 2 006 Kbps
    Video
    ID : 0
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
    Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
    Codec ID : DX50
    Codec ID/Hint : DivX 5
    Bit rate : 1 834 Kbps
    Width : 704 pixels
    Height : 396 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 30.000 fps
    Resolution : 8 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.219
    Stream size : 1.07 GiB (91%)
    Title : Video
    Writing library : DivX 2151
    Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 3
    Codec ID : 55
    Codec ID/Hint : MP3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 160 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Stream size : 95.9 MiB (8%)
    Alignment : Split accross interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 33 ms (1.00 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms
    Title : Audio

My wife was very pleased ... especially since she didn't have to watch it from the chairs I have in the garage. She watched it ... from her nice and comfortable .... bed
    Quote Quote  
  8. You also need to pay attention to the file system used on the DVD. The ISO level 2 file system has a 2 GB file size limit. So any player that requires ISO level 2 will have that limit (or lower). ISO level 3 allows for larger files but few players support this, I think. The UDF file system allows for larger files so players that accept UDF format might play files over 2 GB.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ericdunn View Post
    It seems that both of you are correct. My DVD player seems to have a 1 GB file size limit. Two more questions:

1. What part of the manual would give you this info?
    2. When I go buy a DVD player, how do I find out what file size limit it has?

Best regards!
    I have NEVER seen either of those 2 questions answered in any manual I've ever seen for a DVD playback device.
    Quote Quote