VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear all,

I am very confused by youtube.

At the beginning of one of my clips I get the bubble 'watch in HD' and youtube shows the viewing options of 360p, 480p and 720p HD. This clip is from a DVD filmed a few years ago ie not filmed in high definition, so how can youtube offer to play it in High Definition or does HD actually mean anything here??

Also I am confused by the relationship between the p number and the screen size. I think that the small screen will play in 360p or 480p but not 720 p, while the bigger screen will play in all three - 360, 480, and 720.

Anyway I want my video to play by default in the bigger screen ie so it looks better. I think the smaller screen looks rubbish and also I think many non-youtube expert viewers do not understand how to adjust the screen size and it is not practical for me to explain it.

I think I read somewhere that by default a youtube video plays at 360p (and I am not sure about the default screen size). Is this really true - do youtube want their videos to look rubbish?

Can anyone please enlighten me?

thanks
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	yt1.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	1195  

Quote Quote  
  2. Your video editor probably output to 1280x720. To play the high quality version by default you need to use the tag yt:quality=high
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by k. View Post
    Your video editor probably output to 1280x720.
    Dear K,

Thanks for your reply. Do you mean that a video editor can render something as HD even if the source video is not HD?

To play the high quality version by default you need to use the tag yt:quality=high
    Ok but can I somehow embed this tag on my channel or do you mean this would only work when the viewer has been directly given the special URL by me?

Anyway it seems crazy to me that youtube have set the default to the worst picture quality rather than the best picture quality.
    Quote Quote  
  4. As far as I know only videos with a 1280x720 resolution or higher are converted to HD. You must have used an HD 16:9 template.
    The high quality tag alters the size of the player in the normal video page, but not if you feature the video in your channel.
    http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=146402
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by k. View Post
    As far as I know only videos with a 1280x720 resolution or higher are converted to HD. You must have used an HD 16:9 template.
    Yes I used Windows Movie Maker and selected Windows Media HD 720p (see pic below), but as far as I know HD can be maintained in rendering but can't be added if it is not there in the source video. In other words if my source video is not HD I can't see how Windows Movie Maker can turn it into HD. Youtube seems to read it as a HD video and offers the option of HD playback, but I can't see how my clip can play in HD on youtube or anywhere else if it was not filmed in HD.

The high quality tag alters the size of the player in the normal video page, but not if you feature the video in your channel. http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=146402
    Ok thanks, what a very strange procedure by youtube!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wmm options.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	1223  

Quote Quote