VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.

Excuse me for my english, i'am french.
    I have several MKV files on my Mac. I want to watch these movies on my iPad. All of those MKV contains H264 video track. iPhone OS can handle it without problem. But, the audio track is, most of the time, in AC3 or DTS.
    When i extract the tracks, reencode the audio and use Subler to create an MP4, the iPad can read it perfectly.
    So i'am searching a software, who can take a complete list of MKV files, keep the video in H264 without reencode it, but convert the audio track in AAC, and create an MP4. Something completely automated.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Something completely automated" is going to be a problem.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Soner,
    I've just started to look at including an iPad preset for MKVtools. The iPad tech specs say the video requirements are:

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1

Most MKV files with H.264 are encoded with High Profile level 5.1 which, according to Apple, means that the iPad shouldn't be able to play most commonly encoded H.264 videos unless the profile level is changed. Did you do this during extraction, or does Subler do this for you? Or perhaps your original videos are all Main Profile level 3.1? Since I don't have an iPad to test with, I'm just wondering if the iPad is little more forgiving of h.264 than Apple says it is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use AVIdemux and leave the video options as COPY and change the audio to AAC/FAAC (which will convert your audio to aac) and choose MP4 for format. Then save your new video from the FILE menu. That should pass through the video and convert just the audio track.

As already mentioned though, many MKVs with H.264 will be out of profile for the iPad, since the iPad tops out at level 3.1.
    You'll find me at:
    DivX Labs and the DivX Developer Portal
    Follow us on Twitter: @DivXLabs
    Quote Quote  
  5. I continue to just use Air Video $3 iphone app or free demo to stream video on the iPad works great 2X. True videos are not stored on device but can watch it anywhere in the house or in bed via wifi n connection. All my movies or tv shows are .mkv with 1080p or 720p and transcodes them on the fly.

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also look at "GoodReader" for the iPad ($.99). It lets you transfer files to the iPad directly (with a built-in file server for the iPad !!!). Once you're not using iTunes, it might be possible to get the file over to the iPad and, maybe, higher bitrates might be possible to play.

I'll try some alternative video formats with my iPad and report back. (Might not happen until tomorrow.)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
    I continue to just use Air Video $3 iphone app or free demo to stream video on the iPad works great 2X. True videos are not stored on device but can watch it anywhere in the house or in bed via wifi n connection. All my movies or tv shows are .mkv with 1080p or 720p and transcodes them on the fly.
    Nice to know this. I saw the app at the Store yesterday and was wondering if it could really work some magic. Thanks for reporting your experience.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can confirm that the iPad plays high profile level 4.1 just fine via Goodreader
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
    I continue to just use Air Video $3 iphone app or free demo to stream video on the iPad works great 2X. True videos are not stored on device but can watch it anywhere in the house or in bed via wifi n connection. All my movies or tv shows are .mkv with 1080p or 720p and transcodes them on the fly.
    I tried the free demo and it does, indeed, work as advertised. Of note: I only have a "g" wifi network and it still works fine.
    Quote Quote