VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to copying 2 DVDs in a UDF format that contain movies my daughter made in high school a few years ago. I have access to both XP and Vista operating system PCs. I've tried using Nero (old copy admittedly) and the best I can get is it starts to write and then gives a fixation message and that was on the Vista system. Using Nero on the XP didn't even get me that far. I'm overwhelmed looking things up about this and really would love if someone just told me the steps to copying these DVDs. The blank DVDs I'm using are HP DVD-R. Please help. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try copy with another burning app like the free imgburn.

If that wont work, do you see any files on the dvd using file explorer? In xp install UDF Reader.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for responding so quickly. I still had trouble. Now I'm wondering if it's b/c of the blank DVD being -r instead of rw. I couldn't find UDP Reader in XP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What exactly are these DVDs you are trying to copy? Does the DVD contain data files.....or is it something you are able to simply stick in a DVD Player and view with your television?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    These are DVDs of 2 movies my daughter made in high school. I just put them into the computer and they play. These are the only copies. I can't even figure out how to save them on my computer as a video. There is no reason for them to be copyrighted, so that shouldn't be a reason. So far, nothing has been successful. The movies are about 5-7 years old. They are shorts. I have access to both XP and Vista but am having problems on both. My computers are older and my Nero is an old version also. I can play them on all the computers.

Your help is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One of the DVDs contains 2 files TS something. I think one is the sound and the other is the visual and when they are played together for the film.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ImgBurn
    Create an ISO image of the original disc and place that ISO image on your hard drive somewhere:
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=6379

Burn that ISO image back to a blank disc:
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

Done.
    Check the newly burned disc to make sure it plays.
    Delete the ISO image from your hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have gotten me closer than ever to getting this done. I was able to copy the DVD to my hard drive as an image file and download it to a DVD. The DVD plays....however there is no sound. I'm not giving up yet. I'm going to do the same process with the other DVD and see what happens. Both DVD's do have sound so I don't know why I'm not getting it. But I'm so excited to have gotten this far. Thank you. By the way, keeping the image file on my hard drive....is that a way to have a backup or is it something I need to delete?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One of the DVD's copied onto a new DVD, but with no sound. When it was copied to an image file it showed one file.
    The other DVD copied onto a new DVD seem to have a little sound but stopped playing after 1 minute and it seemed the movie froze. This one copied to an image file and created to files: ISO 324KB ISO file and a 5KB MDS file. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Download the FREE and AMAZING "player" called VLC .
    That can open and play .ISO images....see if it has audio.
    324KB is not correct.....way too small.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for all your help. I think I'm giving up. Strange thing.....I thought I had messed up the original DVDs because they would no longer play on my desktop (XP), however, they are fine on my laptop (Vista). I got closer than ever before and when using the tools you shared with me was able to save it in an image file, however it became two files. When trying to burn them onto a DVD, not so successful. At one point, when writing it after copying it with the 'add to write queue' checked, I got a message saying I was trying to fool them and that it isn't a true ISO image. (I end up getting a .bin extension.) My daughter's friend took them to see what she could do and she said they are corrupted and that is the problem. Though I don't understand how I can play them if they are corrupted. Thank you, once again for all your help. I've spent way too much time on this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And to make a long story short....whoever mentioned "UDF" to you?....smack 'em upside the head....
    That is an unimportant, confusing term that is rarely used and almost never needed.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pussycat View Post
    Most movie DVDs has copyright protection, if you want to copy it to your hard drive, you must decrypt the copyright protection. Otherwise, Although you can copy the *.vob files to your hard drive, but most media players cann't play it.
    Thank you Mr. Obvious.
    Quote Quote