VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Need some help with converting dvd to xvid. I have tried using both AutoGK and FairUse Wizard but running into the same issue with both the latest xvid version 1.2.2 as well as the included version.

If I leave the xvid configuration settings at their default and specify a target size of 1.36gb, the resulting filesize is perfect. I'm a nut about exact file size so my goal is to keep it that way.

But in order to tweak settings for higher quality I have gone through several xvid configuration guides on the net and made the appropriate changes starting with using the AS@L5 profile. Unfortunately no matter what changes I make, the target file I end up getting now comes in at anywhere from 700-900mb, despite specifying the same 1.36gb (2cd) filesize. I was expecting to be able to keep it at the target filesize.

Since the majority of xvid files on torrent sites and others are either at the standard ~800mb or 1.36gb, is it safe to assume they were encoded with default settings as well?

Because I can only reach my target size using the defaults, I really just want to be sure that my settings are not somehow corrupted (have tried uninstalling xvid, reninstalling, etc). If I'm tweaking for higher quality according to the recommended settings, should I expect the encoder to disregard my target size, or at least expect it to be closer in size to 1cd?

Thanks!
    OmS
    Quote Quote  
  2. What settings did you tweak? The AS@L5 profile allows for bitrates up to 8000 kbps. That's pretty high so you're probably not limited by that. Did you change the minimum quantizers? Using too high min quantizers will keep you from getting high bitrates.

Why are you so concerned about the exact file size? Are you limited to burning CDs?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have a bad experience with AutoGK, even after configuring AutoGK and XViD encoder settings properly to rip approximately 700MB, final rip size was just 569MB a way far from expectation.

I never used FairUse Wizard, but definitely I had a good experience with Magic DVD Ripper and DVDFab.

To Rip DVD to xvid, configure XViD every time before you rip.
    AS@L5 profile
    Twopass - 2nd pass (if you expect good quality result from XViD, but, may take little longer.)
    Target Quantizer ---> Target Size 716800 if you want final rip size to fit 1CD
    AVI Open DML
    Key in exact duration of movie total play time
    23.976 (Film) or 29.97 (NTSC) or 25 (PAL)
    MP3 ---> CBR ---> 160 (Gives to reasonably very good audio over 128)
    Quality Preset ----> General Purpose (XViD default setting work very well for me!)

And
    Finally general thumb Rule for Good DVD Ripping

English Movies with average length 120 min = rip size 700MB = average video bit rate = 700 (approx or higher)
    Foreign (Indian Hindi Movies) with average length 165 min = rip size 1.0GB (or 1400MB = 2 CDs) = average video bit rate = 700 (approx or higher)

Quote Quote