VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I know alot of people are always looking for HM-DH4000U D-VHS decks... especially since you can purchase the extended warranty through B&H. (B&H has the best extended warranty plans I have personally used)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800692180-USE/JVC_REFHMDH40000U__Refurbished_HM_..._VHS_HDTV.html

On another interesting note; on the JVC website the specs for this unit now state that it has a frame synchronizer and TBC. I could have sworn that 5 months ago when I picked up a DH4000U the specs on the JVC website did not list this information (is this old news?), as I recall there was alot of speculation on whether the JVC D-VHS decks even had TBC. As I have read in numerous old posts on the restoration forum. This being one example:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/286055-VCR-buying-guide-%28S-VHS-D-VHS-Professional%29

This is the updated (unless I am losing my mind, and its always been there) spec sheet on the JVC website for the HM-DH4000U this is what it states:

Motion Active Progressive Scan Output ...............................Yes (S-VHS/VHS) +++
    Super MPEG Encode Pre-Processor ............................... +++ -
    Time Base Corrector ...............................Yes (S-VHS/VHS) +++
    Frame Synchronizer ...............................Yes (S-VHS/VHS) +++
    Motion Active Noise Reduction ...............................Yes (S-VHS/VHS) +++
    DigiPure Technology ...............................Yes (S-VHS/VHS) +++
    Frame Memory ...............................About 6MB +++
    A.V. Calibration ...............................Yes (S-VHS/VHS) +++

You can see the full page here:

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027315&pathId=50&page=3&archive=true

The HM-DT100U Has similar specs listed but dosen't specifically mention S-VHS after "yes" for TBC, NR, and Frame Sync. I would assume that it does cover S-VHS, I just ordered one so I guess it piqued my interest slightly

Motion Active Progressive Scan Output ......................Yes (S-VHS/VHS) +++
    Super MPEG Encode Pre-Processor ......................Yes (D-VHS) +++
    Time Base Corrector ......................Yes +++
    Frame Synchronizer ......................Yes +++
    Motion Active Noise Reduction ......................Yes +++
    DigiPure Technology ......................Yes (S-VHS/VHS) +++
    Frame Memory ......................Over 4MB +++
    A.V. Calibration ......................Yes (S-VHS/VHS) +++

You can see the full spec sheet here:

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027315&pathId=50&page=1&archive=true
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The HM-DH4000U is the model to get: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800692180-USE/JVC_REFHMDH40000U__Refurbished_HM_...3167/KBID/4166
    The D-VHS models have been discussed several times, both on this forum and at http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum

The 30000 has lackluster reviews for its playback quality.

I don't remember about the HM-DT100U off-hand, it's been so many years. Would have to look up my past posts or some old notes on the subject.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I owned a HM-DH4000U it had comparable results to the JVC 9000 series, it did have an added boost with flagging issues on bad SLP tapes. My biggest issue with the 4000U was that the fan runs very loud after 30 mins or so. I have read alot about the D-VHS units on the forum's over the last 6 months, I really haven't seen much on the JVC HM-DT100U on Video Help or Digitalfaq.com... I know it is a uncommon unit. It was the last D-VHS unit JVC put out, it was also the most expensive retailing around $1500. The HM-DT100U has alot of other features that the other D-VHS units did not have. Once I get the Deck from B&H I will try to send out some screen shots, I am not expecting miracles but I like some of the other features not related to VHS transfer on the deck.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey There.

I have used both the HM-DT100U and the
    HM-DH4000U, and I preferred the HM-DT100U unit hands down. The 4000U I tried would not record, or even pass though a High Def signal well from the QIP6416-2 Fiox HD box. The picture and sound constantly locked up.

I then acquired an HM-DT100U unit to hold onto as a backup for my JVC-9911 S-VHS deck that I was using for my VHS to DVD Transfers. The 100U unit records and plays back Hi-Def TV broadcasts from the Fios box very well. It just can be a bit quirky sometimes. Don't flip the HDMI button while recording as that move produced a dropout on the tape I was recording at the time. I found a quick unplug, then a plug back in will also correct this if the deck starts dropping out when recording Hi-Def through the Firewire port.

As a VHS/SVHS player, The HM-DT100U actually produced a slightly better picture than the 9911 for me! I actually packed up the 9911 and switched to the D-VHS 100U unit for my transfers now. I have never seen an EP tape look as good as it does when using this player. However, you have to manually track it to each tape's "sweet spot", and found I had to re-adjust this every hour with the Hi-Fi EP tapes that I recently transferred.

Another interesting finding when comparing the 100U to the 9911 was the Analog Hi-Fi Sound on the 9911 was slightly better to my ears. I thought the low end was a bit more beefy on the 9911 (Hi-Fi sound only), but the picture improvement made the 100U my deck of choice now for my VHS to DVD transfers.

Now I just need to find a JVC SR-W5U, as some of the screen shots I have seen from that deck are just amazing. I wonder which deck would be the ultimate machine for VHS playback. So far, the HM-DT100U wins in my court. I am now on the lookout for a backup unit

Peter
    Quote Quote