VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have some mini dv footage recorded some years ago- 4-6 years- on a different camcorder than the one I'm currently using, a reconditioned cheap JVC I bought to use for playback for video editing, and the sound doesn't play with some of these tapes, the video editing can't find a timecode, and there's a slight clicking sound when I play the tapes, about 6/sec. I re-recorded some of these tapes, and the recording and playback works fine, with no clicking noise. Any suggestions? (I'd hate to lose the tapes, they contain valuable archive lectures.)

Thanks,

dave24
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    see if the cam has settings for 12bit and 16bit audio. if it doesn't it may not play one of the DVavi audio types.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Several possibilities. Could be an LP speed recording, or else (most likely) it's a mismatch between 12bit/4-channel audio and 16bit stereo. (EDIT: aedipuss also suggested that as I was typing this.) It could even be a head tracking mismatch between old and new camcorders (though I would think it would affect the picture as well).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What are you using for DV transfer? Try WinDV.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oh yeah, and in windv there are 2 types of avi you can capture to. try them both if the first one doesn't play audio for you. type II avi always works for me but it's worth giving both a shot.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the quick feedback- the cam does have settings for 12 bit and 16 bit, and SP and LP, and I've tried all 4 combinations for playback- none work with these tapes, but I can record in any combination on the same tape. Re.: the DV transfer, I don't think it's a problem with the capture, as I have the same problem with playback using just the cam- and I still get the same weird ticking sound, it almost feels mechanical, when the problem part of the tape is played, and it even precedes briefly the beginning of the video portion, while the video continues to seem OK. Also, I don't get any of this with a new recording with the same tape. Any other suggestions would be welcome, and I'm also planning to play the tapes on another cam or deck, to see if the problem is particular to this cam.

Thanks,Dave24
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quick feedback to your quick feedback,

12 vs 16 Kb or LP vs SP is in the tape as recorded. You can't change this in playback.

It is what it is.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote