VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Help!

I have Sony XDCAM EX-1 footage edited in Premiere CS3 and need to export my sequence to mini-dv tape.
    I have a Canon HV20 camcorder.

When the image shows up in the HV20 monitor, it's cropped on all sides by black bars.
    How do I keep the widescreen aspect ratio from the EX-1 footage on the mini-dv tape?
    The Canon HV20 has a widescreen monitor, so I don't understand why the aspect ratios aren't the same.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    is your project set to 1440x1080 HDV and are you printing back to tape or HDV tape? those are 2 seperate options in vegas.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. I created 2 sequences - the second one is set to 1440x1080HDV, but the aspect ratio is still smaller than the HV20 monitor.

I bought regular mini-dv tapes..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    to write back to HDV tape it has to be HDV spec on the timeline. make sure the the hdv project setting "adjust source material to match project settings" is checked. i don't think most ex-1 footage is HDV spec to start with, so expect a long conversion if it's not.

miniDV tape is HDV tape, they use the same type. make sure the HV20 is set to record in HDV and it should probably say HDV in on the screen, not DV in.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it

I'm looking for the "adjust source material to match project settings" right now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vegas - file/properties/video tab. you may have to start a new project for it to take effect. or is that affect? hate those 2 words.

oh yeah, welcome to the forum also
    --
    Quote Quote  
  7. ohhhh i'm really slow here. you're saying that i need to download vegas, right? i can't export in premiere.

i think it's take effect
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sorry i was wrong. i didn't think cs3 exported to HDV only cs4. so i was recommending to use vegas. this part of the cs3 manual says it does though.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/3.0/help.html?content=WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91...aef7-7ca1.html

the same, set an HDV project at the start, applies to cs3 and vegas, that way you'll see the preview shown as it will export to tape. i tested it on cs4 and it works perfectly to export the correct size and with no black borders on a canon hv30.
    --
    Quote Quote