VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

I need a little help.

I know and have made single layer DVD`s from disks that I have recorded from my DVD recorder (liteon 5115) complete with menus thanks to DVDStyler, Ripit4me, and DVDStrink. The problem I have is burning a Dual-layer disk.
    The couple that I have tried to do (one Memorex DL and one Verbatim DL) have not worked. The problem seem to be in the layer break.

I convert the copied shows to MPG using VOB2MPG and then add the MPG`s to DVDStyler, make the menu and save as a .ISO. I then burned the .ISO to DVD DL using Roxio. When I check the disks the first and last show of the four hour long show played OK. The middle two had problems. When I checked the .ISO with IMGBurn, it said that there were layer break problems. I then tried to burn one of the .ISO`s using IMGBurn, and got the same message and when I burned anyway I got the same problem.

Is there something I can use or do to give me an authored Dual-Layer DVD with my own menu and contents. I am trying this as I have a large collection of non-copyright protected B-western and B-movies on VHS that I want to convert to DVD, these movies run between 60 to 70 minutes long and I could fit at least 4 of them per Dual Layer disk with menu.

Regor21
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ConvertXtoDVD is the best pay tool for doing this...menus and add as many titles as you want. If slight compression is necessary to make 4 movies fit, it will do that too.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Instead of saving as an ISO, save as a VIDEO_TS folder, then use ImgBurn to burn that in Build mode (remember to add an AUDIO_TS folder as well). ImgBurn will let you choose where to put the layer break.

Also, only use Verbatim DL media
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lawbringer View Post
    (remember to add an AUDIO_TS folder as well).
    ImgBurn add's one automatically in build mode, as most burning programs do.

Not that you really need it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions, but I think that I have found a solution.

I made my menu in DVDStyler, saved it as an .iso, then using DVDStrink opened the .iso and backed it up as a full disk. I then used IMGBurn to build the dual-layer disk. I have saved my result as an .iso from IMGburn. When I can get a couple of Verbatim disks I'll burn it to see if what the result is.

IMGburn does set the layer break and when the .iso is checked IMGburn finds no problems.

This seems to be a round about way of doing things, but if it works. Great
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Regor21 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions, but I think that I have found a solution.

I made my menu in DVDStyler, saved it as an .iso, then using DVDStrink opened the .iso and backed it up as a full disk. I then used IMGBurn to build the dual-layer disk. I have saved my result as an .iso from IMGburn. When I can get a couple of Verbatim disks I'll burn it to see if what the result is.

IMGburn does set the layer break and when the .iso is checked IMGburn finds no problems.

This seems to be a round about way of doing things, but if it works. Great
    Does DVDStyler not allow you to save to a VIDEO_TS folder? Seems strange - I've used DVD Architect before, and that gave me the option of saving to a folder OR an ISO image.

Well, if you say it doesn't, I believe you. Sorry you have to go through the hassle.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, Lawbringer, call me a dummy, but I haven't really checked to see if DVDStyler will save as a video_ts folder.

I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I have tried my work around. I couldn't find any Verbatim disk in my area, so I picked up the only Dual layers I could get - Memorex (I know that these arn't very good, but for a test disk, well).

I burned the .iso that I made with IMGburn with IMGBurn at half the rated speed. The disks were rated at 16X and I burned at 8X.

The end result --- a disk with a working menu that played with no problems on my three DVD players -- an old RCA 350n, a Curtis and a Liteon 5115, plus a friends JVC.

Oh. I only paid $.75 each for the four Memorex disk.
    Quote Quote