VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, this is a sort of last resort for us. I am working with a small production company in Vancouver, which does wedding videography. We completed the editing of this wedding 2 months ago, but for some strange reason the DVD's we are sending to the client skip for them but work fine for us.
    I am working on Mac OS X 10.5.8, editing in Final cut Pro, exporting using Compressor, building the DVD in DVD Studio Pro 4.0.3, and have tried burning the DVD with both DVD Studio Pro and Toast. Also, please note we are using DL DVDs as the project is a number of hours long. We test the DVD's on a number of different DVD players before we ship them, of which the Sony DVDs always work perfect.

Originally, we thought we had encountered the problem because we had used Verbatim DVD's, but have since found that even when we used Sony DL's it made no difference. The strange thing is, that originally we sent 3 Verbatim DVDs to the client (we have to mail them as they live in Victoria) and only 2 of them did not work, but 1 works fine! We have since re-explored all the files and re-burned the DVDs using Toast instead of DVD Studio Pro, and using the Sonly DL DVDs, but then get the report back that both are still skipping. The client said, "They both play for 5 minuets then begin to skip". Client also has tried the DVD's on 3 different DVD player with the same result, but they work fine on the 4 different players here (which varying in make and age).

Would perhaps copying the 1 working DVD work?

Any ideas for what possible problem we could check would be much appreciated, or any solutions at all.

Thank you!
    TM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony is not good for DL. Read www.nomorecoasters.com for advice on the best blanks.

It may be a dying laser in his player. It's very common.
    I generally don't believe clients when they state they've tried it in other players.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Are you labelling the DVD's at all? if so, are you printing directly to the disc or using stick on labels?

Stick on labels cause all sorts of problems with disks, priniting to disc is the prefered method or no label at all.

You say your customer lives in Victoria..... What Country? if Australia it could be the temperature difference causing the problems.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys!

Yeh I am using the print and stick labels, and also its Victoria BC Canada.

I will look into both your suggestions, thank you!

Anyone else have some ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by trevmarps View Post
    Yeh I am using the print and stick labels
    Stop and odds are so will your problems!!

Edited out the last part about location.
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 30th Mar 2010 at 21:57.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Yeh I am using the print and stick labels, and also its Victoria BC Canada.
    Stop and odds are so will your problems!!
    Come again?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I thought my answer was pretty obvious but...

Stop using STICK ON LABELS!!!!!!
    And i would bet $$$ the problems will stop!!

No way in hell would i ever put a stick on label on a DL dvdr.

I never would have even thought of it because i can't believe anyone would still use them!!
    LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I used to use stick on labels and did not have a problem.... then as time went on it started happening BAD!!!

Had disc's that could not be read in anything or ripped, standalone, pc, nadda!!

Remove labels and they worked perfectly!!

And those were SINGLE LAYER dvdrs, no way would i ever try one on a dual layer dvdr!!!

Especially considering the laser has to refocus and read the underlying 2nd layer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah I haven't used them for years either. Same reason. Messed up playback. Majority of people in the thread I linked to also had bad playback using labels. I now just use good old sharpies. Of course I'm not selling my discs either. Just personal use. If I was in business like the OP then I would invest in a printer that could print directly onto printable discs. Much more professional with no worries of playback problems.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sharpies are my choice when it comes to "Custom" Labels. I tried Sticky labels on CD-Rs a long time ago, BIG MISTAKE. They're pretty and all, but my handwriting will do now.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Awesome, thanks guys! It just may be the labels!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would have thought to question the client as to make and models of players they tired and each one's result then done further research ... some are known to be problematic.

1: Make sure no menu in the dvd structure is a still image ... if the disc is pal then all still menu images should contain 25 frames , not 1 ... common issue for some models.

Note: Pgcedit can be used to determin the details of menu struture.

2: Skipping is normally either the unit is wearing out or just plainly dislikes the media brand

Note: Send the client a test disc written at 2x write speed ... if it plays then youve found the problem .. it's uncommon but when clients are concerned ... anything can be possible.

3: Some models had issues reading towards the end of disc ... you wont know if this may be an issue until you question the client.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Awesome, thanks guys! It just may be the labels!
    Don't use Sony DVD+R DL.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    i can pretty well guarantee that not using sticky labels will fix your problems.

As a side note: when i use to use them on DVD's and was having problems the DVD's would get quite hot when in the player, the DVD's don't get hot when i just print directly onto the DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatim +R DL is the only DL media the members of the site who do video work professionally recommend. The only way I know of to safely print a label for a DVD is to use DVDs with an ink-jet-printable surface or light-scribe DVDs, though I don't know if Verbatim +R DL is made in either of those varieties.
    Quote Quote