VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a macbook with OS X (10.5). I followed these instructions:
    HOW TO MAKE A DVD WITH SELECTABLE SUBTITLES ON MAC OSX WITH FFMPEGX. I tried to convert/burn a DVD from an AVI file. I selected "DVD mpeg2enc". I skipped the subtitle step, although I'd like to use it in the future. I burnt with disc utility.

The result was a DVD with blank video and garbled audio. The files created by the program before burning were the same. The AVI file plays fine on my computer.

Suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, instead of "DVD mpeg2enc" I selected "DVD ffmpeg" and it worked. The DVD plays just fine on VLC. But in my macbook's DVD player the video is "choppy" - freezes every few seconds. Also, the audio is out of sync with the video (I'm away from home, and can't try it out on an external DVD player) Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Before burning, test playback in Apple DVD Player (Menu File > Open > Select VIDEO_TS folder; press Play in the console). Playback on your set top player will likely be the same. This test will save you from wasting discs.

"Choppy video". This is most likely a symptom of missing "3:2 pulldown" on 23.976 fps framerate DVDs. Use mpeg2enc and check the "Set 3:2" checkbox in the Options tab, to add the soft pulldown to the video.

"Blank video". This is a symptom of being unable to decode the video in the AVI with current settings.

For best advice, please tell a bit more about the AVI. What is the video codec? What is the video framerate? What is the audio codec (e.g. mp3)? What is the sample frequency (e.g. 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz)?
    Quote Quote