VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I hooked up my minidv cam via firewire and tried capturing some video. Didn't work. Some strange error. Last time I checked it was working just fine. Not sure what got messed up. I tried WinDV, Virtualdub, Windows Movie Maker, AMCAP and all are erroring out.

AMCAP and Windows Movie Maker throw a small box with an OK button that says "Class not registered"
    Virtualdub error was something to the effect "Unable to Capture. Capture error".
    WinDV just crashes (application error)
    I tried uninstalling/installing the Panasonic DV Codec and also the Cedocida DV codec but it makes no difference.
    I also happen to have a 1394 webcam and I get the same errors with that too, so that rules out the cam and the cable.
    Also when I try to "open" the device (webcam or camcorder) from My Computer it says "Creation of video preview failed".

So looks like some core component like a registry setting or a system file got messed up ? Any suggestions what/where I could look for to fix this ? Any help would be highly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sounds like a firewire controller problem. in my computer try uninstalling the device, and then rebooting. windows should re-install the driver for the firewire. if that doesn't help you may have some broken hardware.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try what is mentioned here at movie makers forum posted by Rehan.

Windows does things occasionally on its own and installing unrelated programs can cause registry bloat / corruption that leads to programs losing default settings.

And should one strike the old fashioned "device in use" error ... that be most likely stupid windows messenger ... disable it via administration tools > services ... reboot after.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks. I ran Rehan's batch file that registers all those dlls, but to no avail. Still have the same problem, no change.

I did disable/enable the hardware and also did an "update driver" (to which windows said you have the latest). I realize I did not mention this is all on XP SP3.
    It does correctly detect the devices I connect to the port so not sure if the hardware's shot or not.

The Live messenger does not auto start so do I still need to disable it from services ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    class not registered sounds like a registry problem. make sure it's not a virus/malware thing. start with gmer to check for rootkits and then move on to malwarebytes and antivirus scans.

or maybe roll back windows to a time when you remember it working. other than that about all i'd say is format and re-install xp. it may be faster than trying to fix the problem.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote