VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I use Super every now and then for some conversion tasks. I have seen it "parse" video files prior to conversion. I have two questions about this process:

What is Parsing?

When does Super parse video files?

Please note the last time I used it and had this come up it was with a Jan 2009 build - I am currently using the Jan 2010 version.

Also is Parsing essentially the same as demuxing? And does it do this when it converts dvd vob files?

The reason I ask is I am currently converting an hour long m2ts file I captured with my hauppauge hd pvr file. I fully expected it to take awhile parsing the file before conversion. I was pleasantly surprised when it started converting immediately.

The main reason I am doing this is I am unhappy with the lack of configuration options with Arcsoft dvd creation software that came with it. It seems to take an exceptionally long time to convert. Granted I know high def video will take longer to convert than standard def but it seems to take forever to author even the simplest dvd with no fancy menus - just a still of the video. (Fyi I am using a dual core amd 2.7ghz processor - addendum - with vista 32bit home premium )

Also I am wanting to put two hours of video on a dvd but it won't let me reencode it. It only takes the original m2ts file size in consideration when converting to dvd, which seems ludicrous because a 3.5gb or so m2ts 1 hour video file (at 6 or 7mb bitrate) should not necessarily take a bit for bit storage hit on the dvd conversion. Hence my reason for looking for an external processing platform to get a dvd standard mpg file (well actually in this instance I'm using a vob output so I'll just import that in to tda 2.0).

Edit - also is there a remaining time estimate display in super? does it give a counter on when it thinks it will be done converting? If so I'm not sure where to enable it or view it - I am using build .37 from Jan 2 2010. - edit - I do see there is a green status bar but it does not have a counter just a graphic representation.
    Last edited by yoda313; 28th Mar 2010 at 11:38.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have no idea what super does...

But what about using multiavchd to author avchd/blu-ray and also convert to dvd-video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This particular application is intended for dvd destination otherwise I would simply burn as a m2ts and leave it at that.

However I will keep multiavchd under advisement for future use. Thanks.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Parsing means the program is examining the source video to determine something about its nature. Whether the video is progressive, interlaced or telecined, what the field order is, maybe looking for black borders to crop., etc.
    Quote Quote