VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am looking at the Panasonic HDC-TM700K and it looks like what I need.
    It takes video at 1920x1080 60P, it apparently does not have a 24P mode. Will this 60P burn to Blu ray alright and be able to be played in a Playstation 3?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like AVCHD DVD or BD is currently not compatible with 1080/60p. Full review for this new cam, HDC-TM700, is not available yet so we do not know what the user can do with the videos in terms of making high-def disc. See the discussion in the following forum:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-2010-Flagship-Camcorders-HDC-HS700-HDC-...M700-37646.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have a look at the Canon T2I/550D. Same price ($100 less) , interchangeable lenses, short depth of field. Whatever camera you get, make sure you have an adequately fast computer to process AVCHD video.

Example of the built in microphone. Nice dog!
    Last edited by Soopafresh; 23rd Mar 2010 at 22:06.
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I tried a canon vixia hf S20 but it's 24p was really 60i so I sent it back
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Onceler2 View Post
    It takes video at 1920x1080 60P, it apparently does not have a 24P mode. Will this 60P burn to Blu ray alright and be able to be played in a Playstation 3?
    Thanks
    1080 / 60p (28Mbps / VBR) , (1920 x 1080) is outside the AVCHD spec, but you could convert it to compliant 1440x1080i/29.97 17 Mb/s.

28Mb/s is on the low side for 1080p. It really needs 35-50 Mbps.

You are going to need a fast computer to deal with this.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    my old cam does 1920x1080 @24P 17Mbps and it is AVCHD
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Thanks
    1080 / 60p (28Mbps / VBR) , (1920 x 1080) is outside the AVCHD spec, but you could convert it to compliant 1440x1080i/29.97 17 Mb/s.

Can you point me in the direction of a cam that does 35-50Mbps @1920not 1440?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Thanks

Can you point me in the direction of a cam that does 35-50Mbps @1920not 1440?
    None for consumer highly compressed AVCHD
    I maintain most consumers would be best off with 1280x720p at 60 fps at 24 Mb/s since most won't use a tripod.
    1920x1080p at 60 fps and 28Mb/s is way overcompressed.

Problem is consumers chase resolution where pros know bitrate and recompression loss rules the roost. At ~25Mb/s AVC you will get a better post edit picture from 1440x1080 source.

For lower compressed, higher bit rate pro models see

Sony XDCAM-EX
    Panasonic AVC-Intra
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Agree with all the above criticisms in theory - but "proper" manufacturers doing 1920x1080p60 at a half decent bitrate? WOW!

If the lens and sensor are up to it, and the H.264 compression doesn't wreck it, this could be wonderful.

Or it could herald a new era of specmanship / number-chasing where the actually picture quality takes a nosedive!

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is mainly an issue of h.264 hardware codec improvement to get 1080 60p down to 28Mb/s. It requires a huge jump in compression performance. This would be proprietary and outside the AVCHD spec. If this is just an extension of AVCHD, it there will be severe compression artifacts vs. 1080i 29.97 or 1080p 24

For pro performance, I'd rather see a model that captures directly to a digitial intermendiate format on hard disk with higher compressed flash RAM as an option.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Following is a link to Panasonic web site, showing play back options for the HDC-TM700:
    http://www.panasonic.net/avc/camcorder/hd/hs700_tm700_sd700/feature3.html

It looks like there is an option to save 1080/60p video data to the PC. To play back, one has to either: (1) play the video directly from the cam to a TV, or (2) make an AVCHD DVD to to played on a BD player. Both of these playing options are with 1080/60i. I am not sure why we want 1080/60p video in the first place (?). Perhaps, there will be a modified AVCHD version to allow playing 1080/60p in the future.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    My old camera does 1920x1080 @17Mbps and it looks great outdoors. It dose not look so great indoors.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Onceler2 View Post
    My old camera does 1920x1080 @17Mbps and it looks great outdoors. It dose not look so great indoors.

all consumer cameras are like that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ollie6431 View Post
    Following is a link to Panasonic web site, showing play back options for the HDC-TM700:
    http://www.panasonic.net/avc/camcorder/hd/hs700_tm700_sd700/feature3.html

It looks like there is an option to save 1080/60p video data to the PC. To play back, one has to either: (1) play the video directly from the cam to a TV, or (2) make an AVCHD DVD to to played on a BD player. Both of these playing options are with 1080/60i. I am not sure why we want 1080/60p video in the first place (?). Perhaps, there will be a modified AVCHD version to allow playing 1080/60p in the future.
    Blu-Ray and ATSC don't support 1080p at above 24fps. But quality 1080 60p is very useful for post production. You can edit and process progressive then convert to 1080i/29.97 or 1280x720p/59.94 at export. But garbage in garbage out. Over-compressed h.264 would qualify as garbage.

It may be possible to capture 1080 60p HDMI live directly to a BlackMagic Decklink or AJA Kona/Xena to a hard drive thus avoiding AVCHD encoding. We shall see. The Intensity pro only does 1080i.
    Last edited by edDV; 27th Mar 2010 at 14:11.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    I would prefer to stick with the 24P but do need a new camera that does better in low light conditions,a higher bitrate would be nice also
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would prefer to stick with the 24P but do need a new camera that does better in low light conditions,a higher bitrate would be nice also
    24p has disadvantages vs. 1080i and 60p and some advantages.

I maintain 1280x720p at 50/60 fps would be the better format for most consumers.

See this thread.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/294510-List-of-really-true-native-24P-1920x1080-AVC...corders/page2?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most of my video capturing has been with a Canon 7D at a mix of 1080p and 720p resolutions and frame rates and generally I find myself agreeing with edDV. As much as it pains me to give up resolution, 720p at 60fps is smooth, and it's also incredibly easy to edit....
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hi,

I will appreciate your choice really its a great Panasonic Videokamera HDC-TM 700 EG-K it has good functionality that we want in our camcorder
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    I want 1920x1080 @24P because it can go to blu ray without any conversion
    Also that is what my old camera shoots and it is beautiful except in artificial light
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    1500$
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    720p is not what I am looking for
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Thats a 1080i cam,not what I want
    Quote Quote  
  23. You can deinterlace to 60p! When I convert MTS to AVI (MJPEG) i also apply deinterlace filter. I use AviSynth and Yadif deiterlacer. You can find even better but conversion will take more time.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    deinterlacing messes up the sharpness
    I want a cam that can do 24p without any BS motion is jut fine with my old cam @24p it is the lighting that is the issue with it
    Last edited by Onceler2; 13th Apr 2010 at 08:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    deinterlacing messes up the sharpness
    I want a cam that can do 24p without any BS motion is jut fine with my old cam @24p it is the lighting that is the issue with it
    BS motion? If there is little motion you can get away with 12 fps.

Motion and the way it is handled is the point. Most people want a camcorder that can be hand held.

As for low light, it comes down to the size of the sensor and the diameter of the lens. In other words, a more massive camcorder. The sensor and lens are the major cost components of a camcorder so that means a more massive and expensive camcorder. The DSLR form factor optimizes for large sensors and large lenses, but is very difficult to hold steady for motion recording. The placement of the LCD monitor forces arms into an unstable position increasing camera shake motion. A tripod is a must. Broadcast style camcorders are optimized for stable, on shoulder shooting.
    Last edited by edDV; 13th Apr 2010 at 10:53.
    Quote Quote  
  26. for low light conditions there is no better camcorder than sony hdr-cx550v at the moment. Deinterlacing does not messes the sharpening! You just need more advanced deinterlacing filter. I would start with yadif then you could check Yadifmod+edi
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you like long processing times and problems go for it, or else stick with an SDVD capable cam. Unless you are really knowledgeable and have the best equipment-software, you will be in trouble fast. Look into Canon cams for the above capability and wait for this technology to develop.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're suggesting people shoot SD in the developed world in 2010?!

Mad.

HDV is no problem to edit at all. Even on a fairly old PC. Sony Vegas HD runs fine on my 2.8GHz P4 (over 5 years old!).

AVCHD can still be a challenge on older machines, unless you use an intermediate codec. So use one, or pick HDV instead.

Don't shoot SD in 2010! Not unless you only want SD right now, and will bin your footage within months.

HD is essential for any longevity. Essential for now for most people.

IMO! YMMV!!!

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Agreed...I saw a little used HDV cam for $150
    No excuses left not to be shooting in full HD
    I've been editing HDV for 3.5 years now and simply forget it's HD
    Last edited by zoobie; 16th Apr 2010 at 01:06.
    Quote Quote