VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, I'm trying to figure out what the best way to burn DVDs is. I have some movies I've filmed with my video camera on my computer, in AVI and WMV formats. I need to know what format they should/need to be converted into, and what software I should use to burn them. I bought Nero Backup and Burn but I don't know the required format to burn with that software or if the software can convert the files. I thought about buying Nero 9, but I'm not sure if you can convert from AVI/WMV with that software. Please help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try using avstodvd.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In a nutshell, DVD requires mpeg-2 (mpeg-1 under certain restrictions) video with either AC3, LPCM or Mpeg-1 Layer 2 audio. Resolutions and bitrates etc can be found under What Is DVD in the menu to your left <-
    Once you have encoded your video and audio, they need to be Authored into a proper DVD structure, optionally with menus.

AVStoDVD is a freeware application that uses the respected HCEnc encoder to encode video to DVD compliant specifications, and if you wish, to author it as well, including some basic menu tools (the new beta adds better menu by the looks of it).

The step before encoding is editing, where you can combine or trim clips to suit what you want to show. This can be done in Windows Movie Maker if your needs are (very) modest, or for a relatively cheap price if you want to look at Vegas Movie Studio, Premiere Elements or VideoStudio. One of these will be worth investing in if you have a lot of editing to do.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't need to do any editing but thanks

How would I go about burning DVD rips from torrent sites? Like movies and such.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You should be aware that if you are asking about illegal copyrighted movies from torrent sites you may be in violation of our rules regarding Warez. Please read our rules before posting.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know that, but I also rip my own DVDs and want to know how to burn them in case the originals get scratched. It's not illegal if I own a legit copy.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It says I'm missing AviSynth or something when I open the program. So, I closed it, and downloaded AviSynth and it says the same thing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, anyways. I burned a DVD and it worked fine. When I put the DVD into my DVD player, it played right away, but it had 2 large black lines on the bottom dividing the bottom 1/3rd of the TV into 3 boxes which sort of played the movie but it was distorted. My dad said it was probably from having other programs running on my PC while burning. Also, I put the DVD into a different player and it said something like: "Error.. playback might not be available on this disc."

Any solutions to these problems?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bump
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds more like a codec issue. Old version of a codec, perhaps, causing incorrect decoding of the video before re-encoding to mpeg-2. You should be using ffdshow with AVStoDVD. Install it if you haven't already.

Otherwise, post a screenshot so we can see the problem.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tough to post a screenshot of my TV.. Maybe I can take a picture with a camera phone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So this issue doesn't happen if you play back the same disc in your PC ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, I haven't tried it. Lol.. And I don't think you can use the print screen button when using WMP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But you can save stills if you use a better player - Media Player Classic HC, The KM Player or VLC, for example
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote