VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok, I have used this method prior with no issues but this DVD is causing lots of problems. I am adding an audio track into a title (keeping original menu etc.)

In PGCDemux the title (by VOB\title) lists correctly as 1hr 45m but when demuxed the final result video\audio file is only 1hr 1m. I then tried to demux in VOBEdit (I guess an older way that I found in a guide) this was a bit harder but it saved ok but this time the total file is 1hr 54m! I have noted that the addition to this file is a trailer at the end of the movie, the problem is when re-muxing using MuxMan and then inserting back to original DVD using VOBblanker I get a warning that there are too many cells now. I think that extra bit at the end of the new file is a problem. I need to find another way to insert audio track or figure out why PGCdemux is not ripping the entire thing or why VOBEdit is ripping too much.

I can confirm using PGCEdit that the new title within the original DVD is now 1hr 54m and the trailer is now both tacked to the end of the main title and elsewhere on the DVD
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by kpic View Post
    In PGCDemux the title (by VOB\title) lists correctly as 1hr 45m but when demuxed the final result video\audio file is only 1hr 1m.
    How do you know that? If you're just playing it, most players will give the wrong time. When you open the M2V in GSpot or MediaInfo, do they agree with you? Is the audio file you demuxed along with it also 61 minutes long?

Another way is to open the VOBs in DGIndex followed by File->Save Project and Demux Video. Use the ']' button to cut it off before the trailer that follows the movie.
    Quote Quote  
  3. At first I did not notice the time difference, I went all the way with it and placed it into the original DVD and that's how I noticed it was only an hour long. I then confirmed it was doing it when I played the resulting video & audio file using VLCplayer (I went by the point it cutoff not by time).

However I have now done it correctly but not sure why it did it correctly. In PGCDemux I used the "By PGC" method and as before it showed the correct time of 1:45, this time I checked off the "create a PGC VOB" option and the resulting video\audio were fine (1:45 movie only) and went fine back into the original DVD using VOBblanker.

I basically had nothing to lose and just checked it off to see what would happen, but I have no idea why I was having problems with it or why that fixed it??
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have never - ever - gotten a shortened video when demuxing by PGC using PGCDemux. Perhaps you originally had it set to demux a single VOB ID.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks Manono, and neither have I this was the first time I have encountered this - no I absolutely had it set to full VOB. When set to "By VOB" it gave the VOB id #1 as 1:01 and then VOB Id #2 as 45m, so apparently the original movie was broken down into two separate VOB Ids?

"By PGC" gave the correct time of 1:45 but as said when demuxed the end product was only 1:01 that is until I checked off "create PGC" option which gave me the correct 1:45 movie only.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I didn't say VOB (or PGC VOB). I said VOB ID. The fact that the first VOB ID is 61 minutes long seems to confirm the theory.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Wait a minute, I thought they were the same thing. I'm not on a computer where I can check it out right now but I thought you could only select one of the VOB ID's in the right hand pane (I usually only select what I think is the main movie), do you mean you can select multiple IDs there?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by kpic View Post
    Wait a minute, I thought they were the same thing. I'm not on a computer where I can check it out right now but I thought you could only select one of the VOB ID's in the right hand pane (I usually only select what I think is the main movie), do you mean you can select multiple IDs there?
    No, I mean you should have selected 'By PGC'. You said you did but I'm not sure I believe you (not when the first VOB ID is 61 minutes long). That'll give you the same video as checking 'Create a PGC VOB' (i.e., the complete movie). Often ticking 'By VOB ID' will give you the entire movie (if it consists of only one VOB ID). However, sometimes a movie consists of 2 or more VOB IDs, as seems to be the case with yours.
    Quote Quote  
  9. When I selected "by VOB" it gave me the VOB ID#1 as 61 minutes. When I selected "by PGC" it gave me the correct time in the right dropdown of 1:45 (the correct time of the full movie) BUT after processing "by PGC" the final demuxed file (both audio\video\celltimes & subs) all came to only 61 min.

I confirmed this by doing it several times (by PGC) and they all ended in the same result, for some reason and only with this DVD did it give me the correct time and yet I ended up with it being demuxed by the VOB ID#1 time of 61 min.

The only way the final files came out to the full 1:45 is when I finally (just happened) to ALSO check off "create PGC VOB" AND using "by PGC". THat's what I was saying in the beginning I just was not sure WHY it did this and WHAT "Create PGC VOB" was and WHY it made the difference. I was asking because I was not sure if in the future I should just check off "create PGC VOB" right off the first time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Okay, if you say so.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have almost the same problem.
    I have a movie, that looks like this "by vob id""
    Click image for larger version

Name:	pgcdemux1.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	14023

So, i can't use this method.
    When i go by PGC, it looks like this:
    Name:  pgcdemux2.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  59.6 KB

I thought that the main movie is 2.07.54.20
    So i demux it, and here what i got:
    the audio files are perfectly fine with all the duration.
    The video file shows as duration 1.26.13''.
    When i play it, it seems to be the whole movie (i don't know how is this done).

But I'm not sure if it IS the whole movie or not. Why it's displaying a different duration?
    Last edited by thinredline; 25th Sep 2012 at 09:50.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by thinredline View Post
    I thought that the main movie is 2.07.54.20
    The main movie is 2:07:54.2 long.
    the audio files are perfectly fine with all the duration.
    The video file shows as duration 1.26.13''.
    M2Vs never show the right length. The whole movie is there and it's the right length.
    Last edited by manono; 25th Sep 2012 at 16:15.
    Quote Quote  
  13. yes, i muxed the dvd and it seemed ok.
    I didn't know that m2vs never show the right length.
    I noticed it also in another dvd i demuxed. again wrong duration.
    Well, I learned this too.
    Thanks.
    (if you could help in a subtitles-delay issue I've got, i'd appreciate it too. It's driving me crazy for 12 hours now. )
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/349477-SubtitleCreator-delay-problem
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by thinredline View Post
    (if you could help in a subtitles-delay issue I've got, i'd appreciate it too.
    Sorry, but I can't help. I don't make subs as described in the guide and don't have a clue as to what's going wrong.

They start off OK but get progressively worse as the movie goes along? And how much are they off by the end of the movie? And how long is the movie?
    Quote Quote  
  15. I tried it in 2 movies.
    Well, they're late by 0.5-1 second, during the whole movie.
    I tried putting -500msec in Subtitlecreator, but they're still not right.

I see this when i have both the muxed subtitles and the external srt loaded, so I compare them, and they don't go together..
    I tried the guide with DVD-Lab pro too, but the same issue appears.

What method do you use to put subtitles in DVDs? (if you do).
    Maybe I could try that and see how that goes.

Or, is there another tool to make srt to sup?
    Except srt2sup, and txt2sup..
    Last edited by thinredline; 26th Sep 2012 at 14:21.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by thinredline View Post
    I tried it in 2 movies.
    Well, they're late by 0.5-1 second, during the whole movie.
    It's a constant delay throughout? That's easy to fix. Open the final DVD in DVDSubEdit and adjust the delay by following Section 3.2 of the User Manual:

http://download.videohelp.com/DVDSubEdit/UserManual/helpfile.htm

What method do you use to put subtitles in DVDs?
    I make subs in SSA format (SRT easily converts to SSA) and use MaestroSBT to create SST subs from them, followed by authoring with Muxman which accepts SST subs as input.
    Quote Quote