VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I remember I found a way to do it, but I can't seem to find it anymore. Can anyone help?

I did see the post about turning on/off Rosetta, but I prefer not doing that since I got a whole bunch of Macs to install…

If my memory serves me right, it was someone recompiled a file (likely the ffmpegx main program).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For reference: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/311629-Installation-Failure-on-Mac-10-6-ffmpegX-0-0-9y

So far, you have just this 1 report to go by. No idea how widespread this is.
    That user didn't mention his OS subversion, although the post date was before the release date of 10.6.2. There have not yet been reports for 10.6.2 (or later). No idea if the latest OS version changed anything.
    The installation error suggested that gnutar needed Rosetta. gnutar is part of the BSD CLI tools that get installed with the OS, not part of ffmpegX. No idea if gnutar has been updated since.

Originally Posted by t1000 View Post
    If my memory serves me right, it was someone recompiled a file (likely the ffmpegx main program).
    Recompiling ffmpegX seems very unlikely to me, as such is only available to the developer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I am also trying to install ffmpegX on 10.6(.2) and get the same error.
    Strangely, gnutar runs in the terminal without installing Rosetta:

Awambaeh-Mac-mini:~ german$ gnutar
    gnutar: You must specify one of the `-Acdtrux' options
    Try `gnutar --help' or `gnutar --usage' for more information.
    Awambaeh-Mac-mini:~ german$ which gnutar
    /usr/bin/gnutar

Could it be that the installation program tries to run some other gnutar binary, maybe distributed together with the ffmpegX package?

Regards,

Awambaeh.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Awambaeh View Post
    Could it be that the installation program tries to run some other gnutar binary, maybe distributed together with the ffmpegX package?
    It seems you are correct: there is a PPC gnutar in the application package (/Applications/ffmpegX.app/Contents/Resources/gnutar).

I think you could replace the gnutar in the application package with a copy of the UB/Intel one. That should work if the gnutar syntax hasn't changed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Case View Post
    I think you could replace the gnutar in the application package with a copy of the UB/Intel one. That should work if the gnutar syntax hasn't changed.
    This worked for me. Thank you, Case!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you all for helping out!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Case View Post
    Originally Posted by Awambaeh View Post
    It seems you are correct: there is a PPC gnutar in the application package (/Applications/ffmpegX.app/Contents/Resources/gnutar).

Would that package be in the "Developer Tools" on my Snow Leo Install DVD (i.e.-use Pacifist to replace the PPC version)
    Last edited by billbo; 11th Jul 2010 at 12:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    GNU tar 1.17 should be included with OS X 10.6, so gnutar should already be on you boot volume, in /usr/bin/gnutar. You could copy that one.
    (Note that the other 'tar' file in /usr/bin/ is BSD tar, a similar package from different developers, which may perhaps have a somewhat different syntax in use, and may not be 100% compatible with ffmpegX.)
    Quote Quote